Saturday, October 7, 2023

I came across this ancient coin, which simply has to be the most dynamic, coolest coinage ever. It's another Bactrian/Greek king, Eucratides I, eyeing an enemy and getting ready to chuck a spear at him. Epic. On that day I become king, I'm having the coins of my realm stamped with something similar.

 


Eucratides I (GreekΕὐκρατίδης Α΄; reigned c. 171–145 BC), sometimes called Eucratides the Great, was one of the most important Greco-Bactrian kings, descendants of dignitaries of Alexander the Great

He uprooted the Euthydemid dynasty of Greco-Bactrian kings and replaced it with his own lineage. He fought against the Indo-Greek kings, the easternmost Hellenistic rulers in northwestern India, temporarily holding territory as far as the Indus, until he was finally defeated and pushed back to Bactria.

 Eucratides had a vast and prestigious coinage, suggesting a rule of considerable importance.

4 comments:

  1. What is the metal and how did you aquire it? I had a history instructor in college who'd done digs in Israel and, legally, had some ancient coins to pass around the class. So amazing to think of the people, their lives, and the times who'd handled them in antiquity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't acquire it. It's just from something posted on the internet,.

      Delete
  2. Reminds me of one of CW's "me at work this week."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go to Heritage Auctions, they sell these weekly at auction and there are a lot cooler ones than this one. They also explain more about them.

    ReplyDelete