Friday, February 28, 2020

Well, I did it

The Charger was 12 years old and getting threadbare, although still running well.  Traded it in on a Challenger R/T Scat-Pack Wide Body.  The Beast.

The local Red Bluff Dodge dealer was very happy to see me, and Brandon there did a good job dealing with my penchant to over bargain on everything. Overall it was a pleasant experience and I think I got a decent deal.  When I need another car I'll be back.

Driving back to Redding, it was certainly more responsive than the Charger, almost twitchy.  It'll take some getting used to.   There's a long, sweeping curve during one of the freeway transitions on the way home, and since there wasn't any traffic when I happened to go through, I gave it an extra gulp of premium and held on.  Those extra wide Pirelli's (305's) are definitely going to be my friends - the Beast was glued to the road.

Mrs. CW doesn't know I did this, and she's getting ready to go to work now.  She'll see the orange Beast parked in the driveway when she pulls out of the garage in her Prius.   Let's see what she says.

And old friend, and a new one.  Life is short.  Live boldly.



Update:  She got halfway down the driveway before she noticed it, then stopped the Prius, got out all giggling, and feigned beating me.  She's delighted.  Plus, I've cemented my reputation as an uncontrollable and unpredictable husband.  Got to keep the spouse nicely entertained or she might wander off and find someone more interesting, especially since, like the Charger, I'm getting a bit threadbare as well.

Threadbare or not, the next few months should be fun getting to know the Beast and it's ways.



31 comments:

  1. Hey CW, congrats on your new acquisition! If I may dare to speak for all your fans (like me) who visit DailyTimeWaster multiple times a day, you deserve it, my friend. We are very grateful for all your hard work and your keen eye for photos and analysis. Here's hoping Mrs CW is OK with your acquisition. And we're looking forward to pics of your Challenger at various highly cool places as you travel around northern Calif!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I plan to do exactly as you said. I'll post all about it.

      Delete
  2. Faster than a speeding ticket, more powerful than a locomotive...a worthy vehicle for a worthy guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I'm a Mustang guy, but I can admire other muscle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Growing up in the 50's there was a guy in our church who was constantly trading cars. His wife said one more and I'm divorcing him. She did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wheel on down to Chico and I'll stake you to a cocktail of your choice and some grindage from Burban Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be down your way in early March. I'll give you a call.

      Delete
  6. EXcellent decision on your part. I will not envy.

    I thrashed my 535i through your neck of the woods until it finally left me Toyota-ed. Nothing like having that gasp on tap under your right foot.

    Keep the shiny side up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like a good excuse to see if you can make it to Dunsmuir in less than 30 minutes.....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. the brakes are 2700 for new rotors and pads... if you have to replace them if they warp... fyi. That's fronts, or backs. A full set of 4 rotors etc? 5400. So, be gentle when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "She's delighted."
    First rule of Wedding Bliss covered. ::grinz::

    Not a big Dodge fan but, as someone else said, I can appreciate muscle. Bravo, sir. Watch out for Stoopid People.


    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm shocked you allow your wife to drive a Prius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She makes her own mind up on what she drives. She was an enthusiastic driver of the old Charger, so even though her everyday drive is a Prius, she'll definitely demand time behind the wheel of this thing.

      Delete
  11. sweet. I have `16 model with a 305 HP v-6. Can`t imagine. Yours is ocer twice that, I think saw. Be safe. Awesome site, too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 485Hp actually. Gotta step up to the Hellcat for 700 plus.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. "too".... You do know cars have no fucking idea what name is stamped on them, right? Brand loyalty is retarded.

      Delete
  13. Schweet. Ive got a '73 with hopped up 340. Bought new. Challengers eat Chevys and crap out Fords!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the first day I've had it at work, and two guys have already come up to me wanting to talk about it. One guy told me it was "fat," which I'm taking as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The complimentary slang is, for reasons unknown to me, spelled "phat." Who knew.

      Delete
  15. My hot car days ended in 1972 when my 1971 Mustang Mach-I fell apart without my help. Haven't looked back since. Good luck with the new vehicle CW!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would have "Vanishing Point" subtlely painted on the tail end of that beaut. (You do remember that movie don't you?)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Life's too short to drive shitty cars. You chose wisely. Now, hide the keys lest you end up chasing the wife in her Prius when she decides you bought it for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are a lucky man on 2 counts. A great car and more importantly a loving and understanding wife. Enjoy both!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoy it and bring back pictures of the open road

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not my sort of ride, but enjoy yourself and keep the rubber side on the road.

    Thanks for the post.
    Paul L. Quandt

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations, I recently got a 2013 Charger R/T Plus AWD with the 5.7 liter. Love the car, it named itself The Beast.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrat's! Let's see a hole shot!!

    ReplyDelete