Friday, February 20, 2015

Full ride

This is the boy, in another time, umpiring a little league game here locally. Now he is in his first year of college in Portland.


He called the house yesterday to tell his mother and I that he had secured a merit scholarship that gives him a full ride for the next four years!

Dad had been paying about 25k/year, less whatever he could contribute from money he'd been earning from jobs like umpiring. 

Full.  Ride.  

I still find it hard to believe. I've never even met anybody who had scored such a thing.

Best part is he got it himself.  We didn't even know he'd applied until about a week ago.

Dad and mom are pretty proud right now.


10 comments:

  1. You and the pretty woman who did all the raisin' did such a great job! Parents of the year we're talkin' here. The wife and I send our personal congrats to you both for the focus provided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I'm still a bit in shock that he somehow pulled this off.

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I'm putting two girls through now, and can only envy you such a great deal. Buy him a car. He earned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm gonna try to do something like that, but I actually have two of his sisters, one of which is in college now, and the other to start next fall, to help through, so I still have a pile of money to pay out. I do it, though, with a smile. Who better to spend money on?

      Delete
  3. Congrats to all concerned but mainly to your son for having the smarts and the skills. If you buy him a car, keep a couple $$ back for a new Gemini Customs modified Ruger 454 Casull...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Dad and mom are pretty proud right now."
    As it should be. Parenting rewards are very hard to collect although worth every effort to do so. Thankfully, my wife and I have been rewarded. May you and your wife collect even more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful News! Congratulations to your son, he is showing what he's made of, and it's GOOD stuff. Be very proud of the young man you've raised!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Congratulations to you and your son. That's very nice.

    ReplyDelete