Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The skillet is like new.

After leaving the Wagner skillet in the electrolysis soup overnight, it came out pretty close to bare metal, especially on the bottom.  I now have it in the oven getting a new coat of seasoning.  It will be perfect for when it's just the wife and I, and the quality of these old cast iron skillets is matchless.


Not all the gunk came off the inside, so I burnished it to get it looking like this.  I'll be seasoning it over the next few days, and hopefully it will be nearly as stick free as if it was covered with teflon.


The tongs didn't all fit in the tub, so the other half is in now, and I'll check it's progress tomorrow morning.  It's fun using science to avoid all the sanding I'd otherwise have to do to remove the rust on these old tools.

14 comments:

  1. I love old cast pans. They are made of much better metal than the new ones. It looks good, nice job CW!

    Leigh
    Whitehall, NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old ones are finished much better. This one I found in an antique store, but it's cost was about the same as a new Lodge, and it is much smoother on the working surface than anything you can get new. That helps when you want that super teflon like surface after seasoning.

      Delete
  2. How exactly does one 'burnish' a cast iron pan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you season?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, the only way to go is Crisco All Vegetable Shortening (the white kind in a can). Liquid oils tend to get sticky, but Crisco is solid at room temperature. I think it also helps to cook something like cornbread when seasoning, it keeps the seasoning more even, and you can just toss the first batch. By Okrathief in West Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Crisco does the best job, but I've also used vegetable oil. I should also point out that cooking bacon in it over and over is a win/win situation.

      Delete
  5. Hoping Mom leaves me her skillets and dutch oven in her will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoping Mom leaves me her skillets and dutch oven in her will.

    ReplyDelete