Thursday, October 1, 2020

Residents of Shasta County have taken resistance to Covid-19 restrictions to another level: “full-on anarchy.”

 As all citizens should when faced with this silliness.  

“You cannot get closer to total disobedience of any kind of law,” Matt Pontes, the county executive officer of Shasta County, said, referring to the local response to Covid-19 strictures. “What’s happening up here is full-on anarchy.” Then he listed for me a few of the things that had happened recently: The county sheriff had announced that he wouldn’t enforce the state’s pandemic restrictions on social gatherings and businesses. People who had never before attended county board meetings were accusing local officials of treason. The county’s health officer, who had the unhappy job of imposing the state’s Covid rules on the citizens of Shasta County, was now receiving so many threats that Pontes had brought in a new threat-assessment team; he’d also ordered the bushes cut back away from her house, installed a security system and floodlights, and ordered police patrols of her neighborhood. “She still doesn’t feel safe out there,” he said. “At all.”

I'm a Shasta County resident, and I concur.  

In just the past few months, a bunch of county health officers across California have been run from office. But what was happening in Shasta County felt to Pontes like a new stage of the crisis in governance. He thought it was “80-20” in favor that, at any moment, a citizen army would form, invade the public buildings, and perform citizens’ arrests of the five members of the county’s Board of Supervisors and any other government officials they could get their hands on. “Before Covid I felt I could talk my way out of just about anything,” he said. “But I had to ask the sheriff, ‘What are you going to do if they arrest us?’ He reassured me that he’s not going to take me anywhere.”


I know a county supervisor down in Tuolumne County who has already petitioned the governor to relax restrictions.  The people there feel very similar to this.

6 comments:

  1. We were discussing this in a local watering hole here in Butte County. People are tired of being held down , they have been restricted too long and no real end is in sight. We said "F" it and enjoyed our beers w/o those damn masks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have worn a mask two or three times when I needed to to get what I wanted from some of the zealots. Not once in the grocery ever. No one at my work wears a useless mask. If they don't like it, "they" can kiss it. MAGA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing to me that America would come out of California... wish the rest of the country would man-up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wear a maskwhen I go into stores....not because the Va govt tells me, but because it is the stores rules...your house, your rules. Went to a bar the other day and noticed the sign on the door requiring masks. Walked in and saw that everyone was wearing a mask...hanging off one ear! I figured "when in Rome...."!

    As an EMT, I wear a N-95 mask whenever we go on a call. From the moment we get out of the ambulance until after we leave the emergency room. Leaves one hell of a dent in my face I will tell you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "He reassured me that he’s not going to take me anywhere."

    As if at that point the Sheriff would be in any kind of control.

    ReplyDelete
  6. America is the home of the free because of the brave, and flaunting goofy laws is in our DNA.

    ReplyDelete