Thursday, April 2, 2020

With March Madness canceled, food industry is overloaded with chicken wings

Well, that's a problem that all Americans can attack with gusto.



"The wing business is totally in the gutter," said Stan Neva, the owner of the Northwest Meat Co. in Chicago, which supplies meat to restaurants, hotels and clubs.

Stan, call me.  I have dollars to trade for wings.




The price for wings has fallen considerably. On March 1, they were selling for $1.60 per pound wholesale. On Wednesday afternoon, the price was $1.25, he said.
Usually, when the price falls enough, someone will buy them, Whitman said.
"But, the thing is, nobody in the world has ever experienced what we're going through before," he said. "So we can't really say what will happen."


Sounds like it's time for an advertising blitz.  Save the Wings!  

9 comments:

  1. I was in a grocery store last week, no wings at all! I was looking too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good.

    The price of wings has been beyond stupid for a while now.

    Playing for something that's , at least, 50% bone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I won't touch the things. Spending money on "food" that one can't eat strikes me as pointless. I'll stick with chicken tenders.

      Delete
  3. They are all over the place in Chico. Get there early rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. I buy chicken legs at half the price of wings. More meat, less cost. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't seen any for a couple of weeks around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our regular grocery store hasn't had any chicken parts in 3 weeks, now, not just wings.

    I think the big problem is the parallel restaurant/grocery store distribution. All of a sudden, nobody is eating out. The restaurant supply chain is stuffed to gills, because nobody is buying, and the other is empty because demand is twice normal. Nobody wants to change the supply chain because it will go back to normal as soon as the world opens up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Ya think?

      I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever see normal again.

      Delete
  7. I remember using them in crab traps, they almost gave them away. We get 5gal. buckets full for couple of dollars.

    ReplyDelete