Saturday, March 17, 2018

Some interesting information from the census on the Irish in America.

  • 32.7 million or 10.2% of U.S. residents in 2015 claimed Irish ancestry, which is more than seven times the population of Ireland itself (4.6 million).
  • 20.2% of Massachusetts residents claimed Irish ancestry in 2015. New Hampshire, at 20.6 percent, was the only other state in which at least 20.0 percent claimed Irish ancestry (see map above).
  • 36.2% of people of Irish ancestry, age 25 or older, had a bachelor’s degree or higher in 2015. In addition, 94.1 percent of Irish-Americans in this age group had at least a high school diploma. For the nation as a whole, the corresponding rates were 30.6 percent and 87.1 percent, respectively.
  • The median income for households headed by an Irish-American was $64,322 in 2015, higher than the median household income of $55,775 for all households. In addition, 6.5 percent of family households headed by a householder of Irish ancestry were in poverty, lower than the rate of 10.6 percent for all Americans.
America, land of opportunity, if you want it.

4 comments:

  1. I thought that my mother was Irish - Venita Louise Quigley. Until I did some genealogical research and I found that her grandfather (on the run from the law) changed his name from Quidley to Quigley. The Quidley family arrived in British North America in the late 1600's and were pirates. Thus, I'm not Irish, I'm English pirate lowlife scum. Oh well, I spent most of my life thinking I was Irish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS, I'm going to my daughter's get together. Her husband is Irish from Boston and they're hosting a New England St. Patrick's Day boil...Which I will eat as if I'm Irish.

      Delete
    2. My Irish daughter's in Dublin attending grad school. CW could post a photo is he so desires.

      Delete
    3. My mother told me I was "Scots, Irish, English and Welsh," and that's why I was a mess: they all fought with each other! Then later my family visited the ancestral home in Scotland; there we discovered that the last man of my surname there had died from a fall, when he jumped out of the 3rd story window to escape the lynch mob, as he was a highwayman! So here's to you, Pirate, from this lowland Scots knave!

      Delete