Saturday, October 26, 2019

The Shaving Post

So, for years - decades - shaving for me was a "get it done quick and cheap" situation.  As fast as I could shave and go on to something else, the better.  

Then one day I was cleaning out some old boxes and came across my grandfathers's old gear, and in particular there was his old straight razor - Swedish steel.

That got me started.  Could I learn to use it?  Sharpen it?  Keep from disfiguring myself?

The process began, and after a significant period of trial and effort, reading up on shaving forums, and checking out the gear available of the internet, I was off on a totally unexpected adventure.

At first, and still even occasionally, there is blood, but counterintuitively, the straights cut me nearly not at all.  I guess it's the obvious nature of the risk that makes you instinctively more careful.

I had to learn all about sharpening, as only an edge "shaving sharp" will safely get the job done.  Now, I really appreciate a surgical Arkansas stone and a canvas strop. The edge you can create with those is pretty frightening.

Now shaving is a pleasant ritual.  There is no time pressure, and in fact the longer the better, to an extent.

It was amazing how much gear, both old and new, is available.  Really quality straight razors were  and still are cheap on the internet, due to high volume and low demand.

Artisan products are everywhere.  It's apparently cheap to start a small scale manufacturing business in your garage.  The scope and variety of stuff out there to try is mind boggling.

My favorites for today only.  In brushes, I favor badger and boar.  However, synthetics are cheaper, easier to maintain, and are hugely popular.   I guess I'm old school there.


Todays soap favorites.  The Siliski Santa's Pipe is a recent discovery, and is for now my go to.  The PAA bay rum is great for Fall, and the Fitjar Islands, from Norway, has a great juniper scent.  PAA doesn't make The Wow Signal anymore, but it's still a great light summer product.

Nearly all soaps these days do a great job of slicking up your hide for the razor.  In the old days, basic  hand soap was what they used, but now there's a blizzard of well scented, carefully mixed soaps that can please any taste.


Cool straights.  Second from the top is the grandfather's old Swedish steel. 

 The yellow Waterville pleases me because the steel is so well carved.  I's like sculpture. It was almost certainly a product of the late 1800's, although I'm 100% sure the handle is more recent.

The bottom one is a Case Red Imp.  I picked it up off Ebay for dirt, but when I got it I discovered that the seller didn't tell that the handle was so warped it was almost a letter "C".  I almost tossed it, but ultimately I bit the bullet and had an artisan I know pull it off and put on a red acrylic handle faithful to the original.  Now it's a noisy but very good shaver.

Same with the blue one second from the bottom.  It's a Klas Törnblom, Eskilstuna made, straight, that came to me with a trashed handle.  Steel was still really good so I had the artisan put on a paua handle.  Now, it's a stylish and very high quality shaver.


Finally, the aftershaves.  Mrs. CW would have me wear nothing else but the Stirling Gin and Tonic if she had her way.  The Myrsol Agua Balsamica is my latest successful experiment.   Good stuff, and there's a lot of it.

The Proraso Green is foundational - every shaver should have a bottle.

PAA's Immortal Peach is light and sweet, a good summer product.  Plus, the ridiculous over the top marketing that  artisan does to sell his stuff is entertaining.  Immortal Peach?  Oh, come on...
But, should you hanker for a bay rum, that guy has it dialed in.  On his site there are multiple varieties, all winners.  See the bay rum soap from him above.


Next week, I'll probably have new favorites.  I've got a limited edition soap from Chiseled Face on the way now that I'm looking forward to trying.

And that's another positive.  Most stuff is fairly cheap.  Forego the Starbucks, and the money saved will buy you a nice selection of shaving products to try.  Plus no more coffee jitters, which you really don't want with a sharp steel edge gliding across your throat.

It's a whole new series of skill sets to learn and master.  Shaving becomes an experience every morning, instead of a chore to rush through.  The wife loves to participate by offering her opinion on all the smells.   In spite of all the colors and pretty packaging, she thinks it's a manly thing to shave with a naked razor.  That's always a good thing.  Naked.  Good.





11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the intro on how you got started with traditional shaving, CW. Clearly you are passionate about shaving and you've invested in time and gear to do it right. I had been wondering what got you down this path. An excellent overview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got rid of my gillette fusion, i don't like the transgender thing

    now i use a safety razor and proraso shaving cream, all is well

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as the razor strop I well remember the one that hung just outside the bathroom door in the hallway. It belonged to my grandfather who threatened it's use but I don't ever remember it being used on me. Being the first grandchild I guess I was kinda his favorite. I always gave the strop a wide berth in my travels down the hallway. Grandpa passed early when I was five.

    Thanks to your blog I have gone back to the safety razor and badger brush. At 77 I'm not steady enough to learn to use a straight. Still looking for a suitable soap though. Perhaps I'll try the bay rum stuff for the scent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somewhere I reckon I might still have my grandfather's straight razor, one day I'll have to look for it. Mostly I wear a beard, so scissors are better for me. As a kid I loved watching cowboys on TV whipping their beards off with nary a scratch!

    You laughed about "Immortal Peach," but there's a good reason for that name; it was the first thing I thought of, since I watched the wonderful TV series of "Monkey" back in the late '70s. The Monkey King stealing the Emperor of Heavens' peaches- one bite of which makes one immortal- was central to the story!

    Here's a bit more about those peaches, from The Charmed Life:

    https://cornerstoregoddessjewelry.blogspot.com/2012/07/monkey-king-and-peaches-of-immortality.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I agree, I prefer beaver hair.
      But the wife won't get up that early just to let me lather up.

      Delete
    2. No badgers were injured in the making of these brushes. Shaved, maybe.

      Delete
    3. Shaved badgers, shaved beavers, same-same, right?

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this article CW. I have shaved with a straight a couple of times (the chin is a real problem along with that spot just below the nose). I use a safety razor daily along with Williams soap - very traditional, non-fussy soap. My brother just made me a badger brush with a Babinga handle; quite nice to look at and to use.

    Regards,
    pjk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post CW and btw, we really don't need a reason to forego Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just have a cheap old Dovo replaceable blade straight razor. I got it at the suggestion of my barber, after asking him what a good beginner's straight razor was to learn on.

    I also use Clubman Pinaud in citrus-musk flavor for my summertime after shave and their musk, or bay rum for colder weather. Cheap, but good for me.

    Pretty much using a double-edged safety razor most of the time, though.

    Screw Gillette.

    ReplyDelete