Thursday, August 16, 2018

This Morning's Edge


It was early when I first walked out on the deck this morning, coffee in hand, and looked out over the dry, sere landscape.  The summer heat was already building, and the dry leaves crackled and split in the still, thick air.

Without warning, a sudden cold, chill wind blew over me, as if straight off the glacier, and on it was the howling of hungry wolves.  The scorched leaves swirled.  My decision was made.

Cryogen soap and aftershave, coupled with a Wild West Brushworks Chiller two band badger brush and cold well water to build and apply a slick lather.

The edge was this Friodur Inox 7/8 half hollow German steel, stropped up to a sizzling sharpness.

Winter is coming.



3 comments:

  1. Cold water, straight-razor shave. You a man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, it's a slow, careful shave, and I have a goatee, so I don't have to shave the chin or upper lip. I'm getting better at it with practice.

      Delete
    2. 'Preciate your sharing your shaves. It has turned me on to some good tools and ingredients. No straight razors for me, tho. I tried it under my grandfather's coaching and confirmed that I am a good clotter.

      Delete