Sunday, December 16, 2018

Miscellaneous stuff around the house

Two red tail hawks were having a very vocal courtship in the trees out back, calling loudly to each other and flying back and forth to different perches.  Here's one of them.   I had a tough time getting good photos until I turned of the camera's autofocus feature.  It kept trying to focus on the branches right in front of the hawks. 

I'm sure they were mating.  If so, the next generation of Red Tails is assured.  Ultimately, they ended up together on top of one of the neighbors trees.  Cool.


The cat was fascinated by the raptor's antics, and sat out on the deck watching.  I had to make loud kissing sounds to get her to turn and look at me.


Copied some old photos.  This one is of a rare snowfall in Sonora, Ca., where the folks lived in the 60's.  For the cognoscenti, their place was up on Myers Hill.  I've got a mailbox very much like that one even today.


Remember these?  The hooks of choice for Sierra Nevada trout fishermen.  And 20 cents for a card of hooks - not a bad price at all.  Genuine American made, with extra sharp points.


Here's a real oldy.  It's the Golden Rule Mine up in Tuolumne County, and the guy in the overalls and  dark shirt is my mom's dad.  I'm thinking 40's or early 50's for this photo.

It was a hard rock job for hard men.  The old man was always proud that he could take down more rock with less dynamite than anyone else.



5 comments:

  1. I think I have a package of Eagle Claw hooks still in my tackle box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hard men" is right. These guys look tough as nails. What a proud heritage to have a man like that in your family. They made California great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Siamese- that's quality cat. Mine was a heavy-duty seal point Applehead. He patrolled the property and was faithfully on duty every day when I got home.
    RIP, TomCat.

    =TW=

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to quibble, but that looks like a red-shouldered hawk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Red Shouldered juvenile fledged this year. Couldn't have asked for a better pose. Better camera, sure..... https://imgur.com/qDDNcYS

    ReplyDelete