Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Being kinda bad

So years ago my brother in law gifted me a big pack of mini bottle rockets that have been sitting around gathering dust.  Tonight, on Christmas Eve, it seemed a good time to burn a few of them off, since it was a clear, cool night out here in the country.  Besides, a week ago some neighbor further up the road had apparently been to the mid west, as he was shooting off major quality fireworks with a mortar.  My little  rockets were pip squeaks in comparison.

So, after the Christmas Eve Jul Bord, and presents, me and the two youngest kids wandered onto the deck to see what would happen when a match and fireworks were combined.   Not exactly classic Christmas entertainment, unless you live at my house, but still fun.  Naturally, the teenagers loved it.
Here are the long exposures.  The star like dots about the sparks are the little rockets detonating with a nice sharp crack.

Ok, back to the egg nog....





6 comments:

  1. It's a lot better than shooting tracers into the air at random. But I would think, just about as satisfying.

    Russian tracers are green, US tracers are red. I was in the world one Christmas when they criss-crossed and I thought of Christmas colors. Better bottle rockets on the deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many years ago I somehow found myself with some .223 tracer rounds, and I ended up shooting them off in Nevada during the day out of a Ruger Ranch Rifle. It was amazing to watch the arc of the bullet's flight, which otherwise one has little concept of. Great fun.

      Delete
  2. What fun! We use duck flares... and assorted other things...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the "assorted other things" that everyone likes the best.

      Delete
  3. Great pics - looks like 'ya had fun! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have fun, Merry Christmas to you as well.

      Delete