Friday, July 26, 2019

I think I'm going to put in a fig tree here in Redding at my place.

Back at the old place, there was a monstrous fig tree, really huge, that simply flourished without any attention on my part.  enormous production beginning about this time of year.  I'd let the birds have the figs on the top of the tree, where I couldn't easily get, and harvest the ones within arms reach.

Since I'm starting from scratch, I'm gonna put in, I think, a variety known as the Texas Blue Giant. 




7 comments:

  1. You'll like it, and it will do well there. Had one tucked in an out of the way place at dad's in Red Bluff. Lots of figs for fig jam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They love water. And you'll be fighting the ants and the birds over the fruit.

    Miss my fig tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love that commercial for fig newtons...."Hi, Big Fig here...."

    ReplyDelete
  4. And as a bonus you and the lovely missus can frolic in the moonlight with your naughty bits only covered by fig leaves..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice thought. Too bad they don't do well in Western Pennsylvania.

      Delete
    2. An old Italian friend of mine has one in a big pot. He said that he waits until all the leaves fall off after the first big frost and takes it indoors for the winter and just lets it sit without watering it. I'm thinking about trying that. He freezes some of the figs and eats them like fig sickles. I'd like to try that, too...........

      Delete