Saturday, September 26, 2020

Drove up to Round Mountain/Montgomery Creek this morning to check out a local apple orchard

 


Really homey place, friendly lady there selling all kinds of apple products.  Cash only.

The place was surrounded by the orchard, which looked really healthy and nice.  



The sign says, "Honk real loud!"

Made the drive into a big round trip: all the way up to Burney, south to Lassen, and then back to Redding on 44.  A nice day to drive the garish orange car all over.

Got a box of mixed apples - Red Delicious and King David - as well as a couple of pears, and a gallon of cider.



11 comments:

  1. I miss the irchards we used to live near in NY (the rest of the state you can keep!)
    They had a country store like that. In the winter they had baked goods, fresh hot cider, take home gallons, huuuge crowd after church. America. Good stuff.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, nice road plunder. Some creamy peanut butter would go well with some apple slices. One of my favorite snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Noble Apple Orchard in Paradise is still operating (the trees survived!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, that's the best news I've heard all summer!

      Delete
  4. After seeing these photos I also looked up your profile, we must be home boys! We moved from Bishop to Fall River Mills and then to Big Bend . I graduated High school in Jackson, Amador County, University in Chico. I really enjoy your photos and start my mornings with them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. C W Swanson-
    Now that you've helped me narrow down what part of the world you live in I'll be looking for an orange Dodge Charger(?) the next time I go to Jone's Fort.
    BTW, the pears look great! Nothing better on a hot day than a cool pear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might see it. I drive by that place all the time.

      Delete
  6. Toss in a tsp of bread yeast into your cider with a balloon on top for an airlock, and you got yourself hard cider in a couple weeks. It would be around 5% abv. When done fermenting, add about a cup of honey as it will be very dry. I wish I could get that fresh stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get champagne yeast. Don’t use a bubbler, 3/4 full jug, cap on loose.

      Delete