Sunday, April 28, 2024

Bye Bye, Old Friends

 The Canadian military is set to finally part with its remaining World War II-era 9mm Browning Hi-Power pistols by the of the year. That the end is in sight for the Hi-Power's service in Canada comes as the country recently received the final deliveries of the 9mm Sig Sauer P320, which are replacing the classic Hi-Powers.


Maybe they'll sell them to private citizens?  Might be a good way to pick up a classic with a story at a good price.  But, in this day and age, I guess not.  Can't trust mere "citizens" with a pistol, you know!

At present, none of the roughly 11,000 pistols left in the country's inventory have been disposed of (i.e., destroyed), Forrest confirmed. It is possible that a select number might be kept by the Canadian military for specific training purposes, or other special uses, although a firm decision has not been made as of yet, she said.

It was in 1944 that the Canadian military began using the Hi-Power. Chambered in the 9mm Luger cartridge, the Hi-Power (originally known as 'High-Power') is a semi-automatic pistol made of steel. The double-stacked magazine design boasts 13-rounds standard which, for the time at least, was a very large magazine capacity. The single-action only pistol is cycled via a short-recoil operated tilting barrel. The tilting barrel design is used in most modern semi-automatic pistols and is commonly referred to as the "Browning action" today.

13 comments:

  1. I'm told you can still get some nice modern versions of the Hi-Power so, question to the audience: Given the choice, your money: Hi-Power or P320, and why? Serious question. I've always liked the Hi-Power, but don't like single actions, on principle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can carry a 1911 single action cocked and locked. I like it better than any double action semi or decocked double..the trigger is always better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first handgun was a Browning Hi-Power, and I still have it. Great gun to shoot, but I don't, and won't carry it any longer. It can be carried cocked-and-locked, but I made the mistake of having an extended ambi safety put on. The thumb break on my holster had a way of wiggling my safety off. (Yes, I know there are other holster choices, and I do have a kydex holster that doesn't have this problem. But for an open-carry holster, I like to have some retention device.) Further, it has a magazine safety, which I also don't like.

    As I said I like shooting this gun, and it gets to the range periodically, but it'll end up with one of my heirs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unless they ship them south of the border (doubtful), they won't go to private citizens as Canada banned handgun sales and transfers about a year and half ago. Expect they'll be destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ended for private citizens . My local merchant of death says he can and will still buy them, for $50. Not sure what part of the regs permits that. He has a handgun range onsite .

      So, no, no Canuck citizens are gonna get their hands on those, except via military boating accidents.

      Delete
  5. I own both a 9 mm and a .45. I prefer the M-1911.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Given the anti-gun attitude of Trudeau, I expect they'll be destroyed. As Anonymous stated, handguns can no longer be bought legally in Canada. This has eradicated gang violence in Toronto and gun smuggling (sarcasm off).
    Al_in_Ottawa

    ReplyDelete
  7. The gang bangers haven’t read the hand gun restrictions in Canada yet. They haven’t been translated into languages other than English and French as a result They have to attend literacy classes first

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read today the military is going to destroy them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anti gunners don't believe that firearms have a value. I remember about 40 years ago, a pair of dueling pistols that were directly linked to Thomas Jefferson, were recovered in NYC. It took a lawsuit to keep them from being destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are destroying them and not putting them onto the surplus market. Thanks Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fidel Jr. won't intervene--they'll be destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ---heard you could get a new one (NIB-2 steel mags and a zippered pouch) in the CamPen Xchange fer 65 US Dollars (in 1968).

    ReplyDelete