Sunday, July 19, 2026

Heat and Thrust

 


13 comments:

  1. We US Marines saw this impressive display almost hourly when we were visiting the Da Nang airfield in Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad had Super 8 of A-4s dropping napalm just outside the base at Da Nang.

      Delete
  2. Trying to reconcile the full burner and the smoke coming off the tires……

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be a touch-n-go demo for the crowd's benefit.

      Bayouwulf

      Delete
  3. The F-4: Proof that with enough thrust, a barn door can be made to fly.

    FWIW, "ZZ" indicates Kadena AB, Okinawa, Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just outside getting the grill ready & a bunch of F-22 Raptors just about knocked the windows out. At least I think that's what they were, they were only doing about 900 mph .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brother and me would sneak out the house at night to lay in the grass while F-4s took off in full burner. We would be closer to the jets than the crowd shown here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Captain I flew with early in my career used to call the engines converters...convert money and fuel into noise and speed. A fun conversion it was though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. F-4 rolling down the strip....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that take me back to my very last day in Vietnam. My enlistment time was over in a couple weeks, and got off my ship (USS Park County LST 1077) and was awaiting my flight back to the States at Tan Son Nhut Air Base, watching the F4 Phantoms take off on full afterburner (very cool BTW!). It was Thanksgiving Day and I sat there eating a hot dog, wondering what life was going to be like when I got home and got out. Just 3 weeks later, I was a civilian again with a job at AT&T, where I worked for 44 years. Time flies!

    ReplyDelete