And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Not true. I lived on a farm outside Moorhead, Mn in the '70s. My family was watching tv together when we noticed lights outside our picture window. We ran outside to see a spectacular northern lights show that lasted about 10-15 minutes. Heavy color saturation in the green and reds. Best show I ever saw.
I've seen them in Northern Manitoba and in the NWT and Yukon. Absolutely blazing green, yellow and red in great sheets of light. Best I ever saw was in Flin Flon, Manitoba. Just blazing and exploding overhead. "The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, Was that night on the Marge of Lake Laberge, I cremated Sam McGee." Robert W. Service. And a very many years ago, I stood on the Marge of Lake Laberge.....under the Northern Lights. Nothin' left to say..... Steve_in_Ottawa
First time I ever saw these was in 1993 on my first trip to Norway. We were rigging an oil search ship in wintertime Bergen, and I about froze because I stayed so long on deck looking at this same color of light. I don't know if the commenter at 5:17 PM is kidding or not, but the several times I've seen them, they've been bright green, red, pink, and yellow, sometimes fading from one to another.
Right about now I think I would take any sky in Norway! And maybe some herring with a little Aquavit "to make the herring swim again!" Steve_in_Ottawa
ReplyDeleteYou do know that Northern Lights are only colorful when taken with filters, otherwise, while the physics are impressive, just some grey lights.
ReplyDeleteDid you have to ruin it for the rest of us what DIDN'T know that about the filters?
DeleteNot true. I lived on a farm outside Moorhead, Mn in the '70s. My family was watching tv together when we noticed lights outside our picture window. We ran outside to see a spectacular northern lights show that lasted about 10-15 minutes. Heavy color saturation in the green and reds. Best show I ever saw.
DeleteI've seen them in Northern Manitoba and in the NWT and Yukon. Absolutely blazing green, yellow and red in great sheets of light. Best I ever saw was in Flin Flon, Manitoba. Just blazing and exploding overhead. "The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, Was that night on the Marge of Lake Laberge, I cremated Sam McGee." Robert W. Service. And a very many years ago, I stood on the Marge of Lake Laberge.....under the Northern Lights. Nothin' left to say..... Steve_in_Ottawa
ReplyDeleteFirst time I ever saw these was in 1993 on my first trip to Norway.
ReplyDeleteWe were rigging an oil search ship in wintertime Bergen, and I about froze because I stayed so long on deck looking at this same color of light.
I don't know if the commenter at 5:17 PM is kidding or not, but the several times I've seen them, they've been bright green, red, pink, and yellow, sometimes fading from one to another.