Sunday, May 17, 2020

The Nemuth Parasol (1934 airplane) with a disk-shaped wing, could land almost like a parachute.


During a test flight, Nemeth stalled the craft mid-air and let the disc wing do the work of a parachute. The demonstration was a success: with the motor off, the wing stabilized the aircraft, and it came down “almost vertically” to a gentle landing, according to a 1934 report from Popular Science. The Nemeth Parasol became the first round wing design to maintain consistent flight.


Alas, only one prototype was ever built.

5 comments:

  1. I'm guessing the restricting factor was a lack of speed....I feel certain there was a market for this....I mean, how many Piper Cubs were bought?....my Dad used to say he once was flying a Cub on a windy day, into the wind, and he watched a woman hang up her laundry to dry, and then watched her come out and take it down...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Nemuth Parasol...could land almost like a parachute.

    I 'tinks maybe "almost" was the operative if not deciding word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was nicknamed the "Round2It". So you can say, I'm getting Round2It.

    ReplyDelete