Friday, June 1, 2018

Trip to Monitor Pass and Bodie or, the Thursday Open Road

In an unusual development, the kids are around, and so I took the younger two on an epic road trip yesterday, driving over Carson, Monitor and Tioga passes, Mono Lake, and Bodie, a ghost town out in the high desert.

An all day drive, but lots of country covered.


The big Dodge on Monitor Pass.  Aspens leafing out nicely.  Up here, it's still early spring time


Looking west from Monitor.  Still winter in the highest country.


Wide angle lenses are fun.  Slinkard Valley and beyond, Nevada and the basin and range country.


Old mining equipment at Bodie.  The town's motto: A man for breakfast every morning.







The state maintains the town in arrested decay.  It's fun to visit and walk around, but it's high elevation - you'll tend to gasp for air if you come from the flats.

Believe it or not, I paid 4.99 a gallon for gas in Lee Vining for the thirsty Dodge.   Remote gas costs more, I guess.  


7 comments:

  1. My grandma used to like the drive up over Tioga Pass and then back across Sonora Pass. It made for a really nice day. Especially since it meant a fishing stop in the evening on the Walker River. I took my sons up to Bodie when they were young. Not sure what they got out of it. I remember the road out there being in "arrested decay". It was dirt with some gravel and wash-boarded all to heck. Lee Vining was always expensive gas. But it was a good spot for a soda. I think that was where the picture of the famous sign "Gas Peace" was taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That road is about half paved, the rest is exactly how you remember it. I was showing the kids the trick to driving over washboards, but the frequent curves made that a bit dicey.

      Delete
  2. I love going to Bodie and Lee Vining. Been Trout fishing and camping Lower Lee Vining creek since 1985. My Wife and I spent 2 weeks on our honey moon camping in Upper Lee Vining creek in 1999. Its the only thing I miss living in Komiforina now that we live in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the story with fishing Lee Vining creek?

      Delete
    2. The Trout fishing was always incredible on the upper and lower Lee Vining creek. Using 2 pound test with a size 6 barb less hook and no weight with a couple Balls O' Fire salmon eggs and fish the rapids. Biggest Rainbow Trout I caught was 5 pounds there. We could catch our limit normally within an hour.

      Delete
    3. 5 pounds! Lord a'mighty! That's a lunker!

      Delete
  3. Gasoline in California...insane prices and in this case, even more insane.

    But Bodie is always interesting, worth the trip. It's country with a story that still needs telling to the rising generation.

    ReplyDelete