Sunday, October 8, 2017

From Mike Rowe's FB page:

"Got a call last year from a guy called Graham Meriwether who wanted me to narrate his movie. Said he wanted to make a film about farming – a film that in his words, “would make a difference.”

“What kind of difference?” I asked. “What do you want the film to accomplish?”

“Well,” he said, “I want people to understand how less than 2% of this country’s population feed 300 million Americans three times a day. I want people to see the challenges our farmers are dealing with, and the reasons why agriculture is facing a looming skills gap unlike anything we’ve ever seen. I want people to get a sense of just how close we are to becoming completely disconnected from our food, and the people who grow it.”

Ten minutes later, Graham was still talking and I was smiling, since so much of what he was telling I’ve already said in front of various groups large and small. So I cut him off.

“Send me a rough-cut when you’re ready,” I said. “If it accomplishes half of what you want it to, I’d be happy to help.”

I saw the rough-cut a few months later. It’s terrific. I’ve posted the trailer below. Give it a look. Like a lot of young filmmakers, Graham is embracing a non-traditional distribution platform – at least for now. If you share my addiction to chewing and swallowing, check out his website, and see if your community might benefit from watching this film.



Via Ace of Spades

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless the aging American farmers. I emphasize "American".

    Is this a pro-legalize 15 million illegals movie? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but that seems to be the message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The US Ag.Dept. should start a pilot program to encourage small family farms via a o.oo% loan in return for a 10 year farming commitment. 4H & FFA participation to help train the next generation of small farmers would create a "grassroots" industry in the heartland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The US Ag.Dept. should start a pilot program to encourage small family farms via a o.oo% loan in return for a 10 year farming commitment. 4H & FFA participation to help train the next generation of small farmers would create a "grassroots" industry in the heartland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hell, I have a small outfit that since I'm into the third trimester of life, Need to have a interested young 'un to give my place to as time progresses. Can't seem to find a sharp, worthy kid to groom for a little manna from heaven...... amazing to find one in such a predicament.
    soapweed

    ReplyDelete