Wednesday, June 28, 2017

The Bakersfield Run

Not quite so exhilarating as the Kessel Run, and I didn't do it in less than 12 parsecs, but it was there and back today, about eight hours in the saddle.  The big Dodge ran well, although the right front tire has a vibration at the perfect highway speed of about 70mph.  That's annoying.  I'll have to see why later.

Although not on the standard tourist route, I did pass such interesting places as Sandy Mush, Dead Man Creek, Chowchilla, Kimberlina Road, Merle Haggard Drive and the throbbing heartbeat of the lower San Joaquin Valley, lovely Oildale.

Some of the little dry wash rivers were no longer dry.  The mighty Chowchilla River is normally a dusty wash, but today, where 99 crosses it, it was running nicely, with green, cold water.  I think this is the only time I've seen water in it.

The Kings River at 99 crosses under the highway and past a nice little resort, but today they had sandbags out to keep the water out of the clubhouse.

The Fresno River, normally as bone dry as the Chowchilla, was also running swiftly with cold, clear snowmelt.

I'm planning on a Yosemite Valley run next week, with the wife and two daughters, and this bodes well for a dramatic flow over the waterfalls.  I'll bet the mist trail up to Vernal Falls is a very wet walk.

Also planning dinner at the iconic Ahwahnee Hotel (yes I am aware it's called something else now, but to me it's always going to be the Ahwahnee), which I'm sure the ladies will enjoy.


6 comments:

  1. Yosemite this year will be magical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check to see if the TPMS gauge has come lose and is bouncing around inside the tire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bring that up with the tire men over at Goodyear. There's still enough tread left to last all summer, so I'd like not to buy another tire if I can help it.

      Delete
    2. Could be you've lost a balancing weight. That happened to me, & sounds like the same symptoms.

      Delete
  3. You mentioned Merle Haggard Drive and having tire trouble. Now I have a song from the seventies running through my head.............

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhpq2oDPT9w

    ReplyDelete