Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Shave of the Day

"Electric Lemonade" shaving soap from Morgan's Goat Soapery, Honey Farms two band badger brush, WCS Midnight Series razor with a Rockwell Swedish steel blade, finishing with the classic Proraso green aftershave.


Interesting story - a reader emailed me about his wife's goat milk soap business, telling that she was starting out making some shaving soap, and wanted to know if I'd like to test it.  Goat milk shaving soap?  Well, yeah, I agreed to test that.

By and by, the soap arrived, and today I used it for the first time.  Morgan calls it "Electric Lemonade."  It's a hard puck, so I called on one of my best two band badger brushes to whip up some lather.  

First, I bloomed the puck for about ten minutes.  Then, a vigorous application of the badger, and immediately it lathered up quite nicely.  I took about 30 seconds or so to get what you see below.  It has no problem at all developing a nice luxurious lather.



The scent is exactly as advertised, a lemon citrus on the strong side, which I happen to prefer, especially at this time of year when it tends to be hot.

I applied it all over my ruggedly handsome mug of a face, and I think face latherers would like this as well.  The more I whipped it up on my leathery hide, the slicker it seemed to get.

The shave was a standard for me two pass, and the result was a fine clean shave.


Summary: it functions as advertised.  Great scent (in my opinion) for a hot climate shaver, it's plenty slick, and it complements the Proraso.

I left the shave foam in the scuttle this time because it makes the bathroom smell fresh.

Morgan has her own goats that she milks and uses to make this soap, so it's truly a hand made artisan product.  I don't see it yet on her Etsy page, but I expect it'll be up soon, or just ask her by email for some, if you fancy a nice citrusy lather to shave with.


3 comments:

  1. Curt, would *love* to try her soap-please list email or send to me...got the Poroso, and after lathering, found i'd been "living in the 19th century" with the Williams...no comparison to either the lather OR the shave...[and yes, would definitely pay her for a sample]. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goat Soap? That sounds Baaaaaaaaaahd. Baaaaaaaaahd. Let us know if you start to grow a goatee or get impulses to stand up on top of your sink when you start shaving.

    Side topic, just a suggestion. Why not do a photo layout of all your shaving gear collection, in the manner of your "Feast" food spreads? I bet it's impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be embarrassing. This stuff isn't particularly expensive, so it's way way too easy to rationalize a pick up of the next great thing.

      Delete