Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Many NYC students so tech-oriented they can’t even sign their own names

The dumbing down of American students hits overdrive.

Common Core state standards don’t require students to learn cursive, and the city Department of Education leaves that decision up to each school.

 Many Big Apple students, including the children of several state lawmakers, can’t even sign their own names, it was revealed at an educational budget hearing in Albany today.
“Not only is it sad, but it’s a security issue,” said Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis (R-SI/Brooklyn).
She told Board of Education Commissioner MaryEllen Elia that students have become so tech-oriented that they never learn how to sign their John Hancock, which renders them unable to properly ink contracts, checks and credit cards.
Malliotakis said the penmanship problem was brought to her attention while helping one of her constituents fill out a voter registration form. He printed his name, and when she told him to actually sign it, he insisted that was his signature.
Welcome to the new educational world, where teaching one of the most basic skills in school and in life is abandoned.  

5 comments:

  1. Canada is really no better. I have a nephew who is graduating in high school and I don't think he can sign his name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. once again I heard a liberal I work with proclaim, "If Trump is elected, I'm moving to Canada". I offered to help her pack.
    Maybe if all those progressive liberals would leave; then the sensible folks could turn the schools back into places of life skills learning instead of liberal indoctrination pits.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. he insisted that was his signature.

    ... And he was right. There is no established single right way to sign your name. For much of American history, an X was sufficient. it's not like there is some grant repository of signatures that everyone refers to to see if your is authentic. people who sign a lot of things have very abbreviated signaures, often just a squiggly line. IT's NOT CURSIVE. It's an afterthought. For real iron-clad signatures, digital is the way to go. The law needs to catch up. Schools need to catch up.

    Cursive is a style of writing invented so that the ink from goose quills wouldn't pool up on paper. Since the invention of the ball point pen, it is obsolete. Since the invention of the typewriter, it is twice obsolete. Since the invention of the home computer, the smart phone and the IPad, it is 5 generations obsolete. There is no reason to mourn its passing. The question is, why would anyone think it is a bad thing that it is gone? Put it in the museum next to Gaelic and Navaho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was 4th grade when Sister Mary Elephant told me my handwriting was so horrible that I should just print. I have ever since. My signature is muscle memory and relatively consistent. However, some documents (mostly from the Feds) require my full name in it. Those are hilarious, my first and last name aren't too bad, my middle name comes out like some, I don't know, fourth grader wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the exact same problem with my middle name. I thought it was just me.

      Delete