Friday, May 6, 2022

Wow

 This is an incredible read!

The fire warning light (pilots call it the panic light) blinked on. This is not a good sign. And to make matters worse, jet fuel poured over the canopy like water from a bucket. At the same instant, my radio came back on, powered by the emergency generator, and a great babble of voices burst through my earphones. 
    “Jud, you’re on fire, get out of there!”
    Fuel was pouring out of my aircraft; from the tailpipe; from the intake duct; from under the wings, and igniting behind me in a great awesome trail of fire.
    The suddenness of the disaster overwhelmed me, and I thought: “This can’t be happening to me!” 
    The voices in my ears kept urging me to fire the ejection seat and abandon my aircraft. 
    I pressed my mike button and told the flight leader, “I’m getting out!”
    I took my hands off the flight controls and reached above my head for the canvas curtain that would start the ejection sequence. I pulled it down hard over my face and waited for the tremendous kick in the pants, which would send me rocketing upward, free of the aircraft.

    Nothing happened! The canopy, which was designed to jettison in the first part of the ejection sequence did not move. It was still in place and so was I. 

9 comments:

  1. Holy moly! That was an incredible story.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like my money back for this show please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the same story with pix:
    https://gramsluftfartsblogg.blogspot.com/2014/01/fantastisk-historie.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. That was a great story.

      Delete
  4. Also also thanks for the story, and thanks for the link , ghostsniper. I just read this to one of my young 'ens. Fascinated with airplanes, they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating read, I read this a some years ago in Readers Digest. I've always remembered the significance of him not having a spleen and how that saved his life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cliff Judkins was my neighbor in Atlanta. He's a retired Delta pilot, and is still living. He's a delightful person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must be the luckiest and calmest man in the world. To have that much go wrong and still beat death.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Expecting the kick in the pants from the E-seat and not getting it will lead to a review of one's life.

    ReplyDelete