Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Wow


The pilot was standing around as I got out of my wheelchair to board my flight to Portland. He followed me and the flight attendant who volunteered to carry my bag. I fling myself into my seat. He quickly asked, “were you in the military.” I replied “yes.”

He said, “Afghanistan 2010?” Again, although surprised this time, I said slowly “yessss.”

He then told me that he recognized me, my injuries, and my face. He told me he never knew if I survived or not.

Marc Vincequere is his name. He flys w United now. Crazy small world. He was the pilot that flew me out of Afghanistan.

10 comments:

  1. it is truly a small world at times... thanks for sharing this good story

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! I retired from Continental just before they became United. I wonder if Marc is ex-con? Lotsa great guys there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, look for the video called "United breaks guitars". United has a bad rep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did look it up.
      1. That was a completely different airline than the one I worked for.
      2. Every airline in the world has damaged checked baggage and failed to properly compensate at one time or another.
      3. It appears the passenger/singer/victim made out great in the end, with a hit song and two new guitars.

      Delete