Sunday, June 16, 2019

Volcano Report

Lassen ( last major eruption: May, 1915) has some interesting readings this morning.

The first is a seismometer right on the mountain, showing some sustained shaking.  Like movement of something.  Could be a slide on the surface.  Big boulder rolling down a steep spot.  Might be anything.


Ground deformation nearby also shows a couple of spikes.  The 'up' graph is in tenths of a meter, with seems to me to be a lot of swell.  I'm not sure whether the graph resets to the new point or returns to some previous zero point.  I've never been able to get the operator of these stations to respond to emails.


On another volcano, nothing out of the ordinary at Shasta.  

I really have no idea if even these graphs are unusual, or significant, only that they are a bit more active than I'm used to seeing. 

Monitoring from Redding continues...

6 comments:

  1. Don’t fear the reaper, CW...and the literary comparison between Redding and Pompei.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So does that mean we get to view CW and Odie as Pompeii victims in a crouching or on their knees in a few thousand years?

      Delete
  2. I'm close by too, and I didn't need your report. Quiet LL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on the other side of Yosemite, if it blows, every thing in South Dakota east is buried under ash, and lava flows. So I have a little anxiety over that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YellowStone, see the anxiety is already affecting me.

      Delete
  4. Try these folks for questions, they've always answered mine:

    Do you have a question about volcanoes, earthquakes, mountains, rocks, maps, ground water, lakes, rivers, beaches, or oceans?

    Email your earth science question to:

    ask-a-geologist@usgs.gov

    ReplyDelete