Friday, March 13, 2015

Highly competent white male scientist exposes environmental fraud, loses his job at UCLA because of it, sues and wins.



"Scientific research at universities is supposed to involve inquiry into established theories and hypotheses."
"That is, unless they question environmental regulations."
"One UCLA science researcher, a 34-year veteran of the school, found himself out of a job in 2011 after examining the data underlying diesel regulations proposed by a California regulator and exposing the shoddy credentials of a lead author of that regulator’s report."
"James Enstrom secured victory in a two-and-a-half year legal battle against UCLA last week when the school agreed to settle the case."
"The school is paying the “diesel particulate matter” expert $140,000, reinstating his title as “Retired Researcher,” and restoring his access to UCLA resources, “effectively” rescinding his termination, according to the American Center for Law & Justice, which represented Enstrom."
"Enstrom had challenged the validity of a California Air Resources Board study on diesel particulate matter and mortality in the state and the regulations that followed. He denounced the research as a faulty reading of data."
Shoddy credentials is no joke.  More like none at all. But hey, the goof told the politicians what they wanted to hear, so it was all good until Mr. Enstrom came along to embarrass them all.

"Enstrom exposed fraudulent behavior in the studies on which the board relied, including that of the lead author of a 2008 report. Hien Tran “admitted he purchased” a magna cum laude Ph.D. for $1,000 from a “diploma mill associated with a fugitive pedophile,” according toCalWatchdog."
"It’s “the standard MO” of the regulatory board to use “unverified studies to gin up regulations” in the state, according to Lois Henry, a Bakersfield Californiancolumnist who covers California politics, in a column last month."
So let's summarize.  Corrupt and dishonest: UCLA, The California Air Resources Board, and this fool Hien Tran who likes to pose as an expert.
Man of honor and science: James Enstrom.  Just another pesky white man sticking it to the rotting power structure.

Damn all that pesky white privilege getting in the way of the progressive narrative!

10 comments:

  1. I wonder if I could wrangle a high paying lackey job with the Obama Administration if I paid $99.95 to a diploma mill for a PhD? I could become national science advisor - and weather advocate. I wonder if the job would come with my own Gulfstream executive jet and a yacht to do maritime research on, and a crew of hot women to help me research. I could churn out two or three studies a year demonstrating how we need to raise taxes to support the ObamaNation's perspective on weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got ordained online. I am looking for opportunities to use that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cold for you to find your progressive faith that way and not share the website so that we can do likewise... I'm thinking that if I can become a "Doctor of Divinity" on-line, it might be cheaper than the $99.95 PhD on-line degree in Particle Physics. I could still be a "doctor" and could still advise the President on weather. (yes, naturally, I'm trying to squeeze a penny until it bleeds)

      Delete
    2. You are right. I have been an absolute selfish bastard. Especially since it is free.

      http://thunderwoodcollege.com/

      Delete
  3. The two of you could get rich telling the Progs what they wanted to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting rich is only a filthy concept if you're conservative. If you're a liberal like self-avowed Nazi, George Soros, it's miraculously transformed into a virtue. It's true of Barack Obama as well, who is every bit as rich as Mitt Romney. With Romney, wealth is damning.

      Delete
    2. I bought a lottery ticket for tonight. Maybe I can shortcut my way to getting rich.

      Delete
  4. $140,000? In LA, that's not really a good annual salary, much less anything punative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that USGOV paid "honorariums" on top of that. They're dealing with the Federal ceiling ($173K) but that doesn't include honorariums.

      Delete
  5. I'm with Juvat,

    I was a naval officer in San Diego when Cal OSHA came by and told the parking lot owner that my 30kW generators were 4 brakehorsepower over the new Cal OSHA rules. I explained that they were NAVY GENERATORS and was told that our NAVY had decided to give supremacy to local jurisdictions and thus I had to get rid of them. I sent them to Saudi Arabia.

    Still and all, I did like coming home to the US to my ship and having the CO ask me how we handled EPA fines for black smoke upon lightup. To see the face on that man fall as I told him that they way we handled it was to start the engines at night and let them warm up so they wouldn't smoke when we restarted them in the morning. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete