Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Meanwhile, in Arizona...


 

7 comments:

  1. I've lived here my entire life.
    A Phoenix native. A rarity to be sure.
    When I left to join the military, I can honestly say, the ONLY thing I missed was the smell of the desert after a rain. Nothing else.
    While I admit that it makes for some beautiful photographs, living here is another matter. Central and Eastern Arizona can be pleasant and offer a full range of seasons. Southern Arizona (Think Phoenix, Tuscon, Yuma) is a hell-scape.
    July and August temperatures that regularly stay above 100F at midnight.
    No A/C is NOT an option. ...and if it fails, you WILL pay exorbitant prices to have it repaired immediately.
    And I'm sick to death of visitors saying "...but the humidity is so low!"
    Yeah. The same can be said of a blast furnace.
    The average annual rainfall for Phoenix is about 7 inches. In a YEAR!
    ...and need I mention all of the illegals and California transplants?
    A curse on this place!
    YMMV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...The average annual rainfall for Phoenix is about 7 inches. In a YEAR!..."

      We don't have a rain gauge, but here in my part of the East Valley, we've had a hellofa wet afternoon today. Some stations are reporting between 2 and 3 inches (and I don't doubt that we saw that much here) and more to come later this evening.

      azlibertarian

      Delete
  2. We lived in Tucson for 17 years and now live in the White Mountains. Our current situation is pretty nice, but I agree that southern AZ can be very difficult. I used to joke that babies were born in Tucson being able to say, “Yeah, but it’s a dry heat!”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhh. You're not supposed to mention Arizona's White Mountains on the internet. The rest of them are supposed to think that the whole state is barren scrub desert.

      azlibertarian

      Delete
  3. Always tell people our seasons are spring, spring, spring and hell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got 149 acres in northeastern New Mexico that look similar to this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first thought was it looks a lot like Marfa

    ReplyDelete