Wednesday, September 16, 2026

 




6 comments:

  1. That green glow was mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Foreigner to the USA here ... grew up with mainly British and Australian cars, but also had a few American Chevrolets and Fords in my time, but they were always right hand drive.
    So for me, and near everybody I know, using your left hand to change gear if normal, and the idea of using your right to do so alien.
    Maybe 'y'all' have a lot of crashes because of that ???

    Few nights ago I drove on the RIGHT HAND SIDE of the road, late at night, no other cars around ... seemed quite easy.
    But then I tried changing gear with my right hand ... boy was that weird, a bit like when you sit on your arm for a while and then paint your nails red and put a frilly blouse on that arm only.

    I will try it again tonight, the right hand driving I mean, but this time I will take my Italian car with twin clutch transmission and the flappy paddles, see if it is easier changing gear right handed in that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No crashes. It is not alien here.

      Delete
  3. William,
    Bought a brand new muscle car in 1972 when I was stationed in London. Mercury GT 351 CJ with factory Hurst 4 on the floor. My English bride's uncle was a car nut and really wanted to drive it. As he was a WWII RN vet, I finally gave in. Made him sit in the driver seat. Engine off, explained how the Hurst was spring loaded 2nd to 3rd. He understood. Practiced. We drove to a straight country road, no traffic. Stopped, switched drivers. He managed the clutch into 1st okay but the shift to second was awkward and he was completely LOST to rational thought 2nd to 3rd. I don't know what he did wrong as the tires were smoking and he was desperately in need of viewing the road instead of looking at the shift diagram on the knob. I turned the key off. He did manage to use the brakes, thank the Good Lord. Whew. When later in life Uncle and wife visited us in the US, he rented a car at Logan airport. His wife said that most of the drivers honked and made a 'rude gesture' when he screwed up. He did, to his credit, FINALLY learn how to safely drive an automatic in the US. BTW, he always drove a sporty Jag or BMW in England.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see the brake, but where the heck is the clutch?

    ReplyDelete