And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
The main reason is heating. The main living area at the ground floor has the fireplace, and the upper stories get "waste" heat that rises.
When I was in rural Delaware some years ago I saw a lot of stacked houses like that; it was the answer I was given when I questioned the style. Parts of Delware are like Kansas, except flatter, colder, and windier.
It takes what seems like forever to get this place warm on a cold winter night.
ReplyDeleteI’d live there. Needs a veranda. A deck. And a few more, larger windows.
ReplyDeleteI'd live there without the need for the add-ons. Just need enough food,wood, books, and whiskey to last me thru the winter
DeleteMight be small for tax purposes...kind of like in Amsterdam.
ReplyDeleteWhy would someone build a house that shape? Anon might be right... tax purposes? Is there another reason to build in a shape that looks unpractical?
ReplyDeletePossibly a gatehouse for a castle, large estate, etc.
ReplyDeleteAI
ReplyDeleteThe main reason is heating. The main living area at the ground floor has the fireplace, and the upper stories get "waste" heat that rises.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was in rural Delaware some years ago I saw a lot of stacked houses like that; it was the answer I was given when I questioned the style. Parts of Delware are like Kansas, except flatter, colder, and windier.