Friday, July 24, 2026

Out and about in the Warner Mountains, Surprise Valley, far north eastern corner of California

 


On the Highgrade Road in the Warner Mountains


Descending into Surprise Valley



Fort Bidwell and Upper Lake


The mountains in the left distance are in Nevada


Northern End of Surprise Valley


Ranch near Lake City



17 comments:

  1. I logged on today thinking that yesterday's posts would be at the top of the blog due to your lack of Internet access ... but I was happily surprised. YEA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you should take an extra 20 gallons of gas and a couple spare tires with you. And plenty of food and water. Looks like the Big Empty to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy to still be in the heartland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I graduated from SVHS in Cedarville way back in 1975, I loved living there. Go Hornets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tulelake High, class of '71. Love the open juniper and sage country.

      Delete
    2. I love the smell of horseradish in the morning!

      Delete
    3. I think the horseradish factory is long gone. Not sure.

      Delete
    4. Anon from Cedarville, is Woody's a good place to get a steak in town?

      Delete
    5. Woody's menu and reviews sure make it look like it's worth a try! And the prices are very reasonable, considering where it's at. (100 miles from anywhere. My kind of place.)

      Woody's and your posts make me want to jump in the pickup and drive 170 miles to try a Patty Melt!

      Delete
    6. Name the place and time. I'll meet you there.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! I want to live there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CW, you got a new ride? Where'd that Jeep come from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, traded in the truck. Mrs. CW anticipates that in a few short years she and I may be making "rounds" to visit kids/grandkids, and we will need a beast that can load and carry as many as possible. After a lot of research, I ended up with this Wagoneer. It did pretty well on the dirt roads, and averaged 21.8 miles per gallon on the complete trip - mountains, dirt roads, etc. Not too bad. It's actually slightly better milage than the truck got.

      Delete
  7. So, what's the surprise in Surprise Valley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the pioneers were crossing to California or Oregon via the Applegate Trail, when they first came out of the desert and saw this country, it was a pleasant surprise.

      Delete
  8. What a grand scene; many thanks for those vista portfolios.
    I am never without wonder how different the angular Western mountains are from the weather-worn Appalachians; the people I've met from the Rockies are also different in similar ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Read your blog everyday, live between Cedarville and Eagleville. Nice to see the Valley mentioned!

    ReplyDelete