And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
I know next to nothing about Nepal but I can find it on a map. At least today’s pictures got me to look into the land and it’s history a little. It’s very very old, very complicated, and totally different from anything European, Chinese, or Indian.
Bancaud travelled the far corners of Asia and Asia Minor for over a decade taking pictures of cultures that Westerners are barely aware of. Many of them have not changed much in thousands of years. That’s pretty hard for this American to grasp.
I went to the Hall for 10 days in 2017 to visit with and trained some pastors and deacons. All the people I met were very kind and genuine, of course, many of these people and I shared the same faith and we’re happy to see somebody from the other side of the world who did. One thing that struck me was the beauty of the land and how, to them, any 3000-4000 foot peak was so common they weren’t even called a mountain, nor did they have a name. The food that they fit us was also very wonderful. It was like the best Indian food combine with the best Chinese food, which makes sense if you remember that the country is in between those two much larger countries. While I was there, we visited the Birthplace of Buddha. It’s in a city called Lumbini, Nepal. One of the Nepali pastors told me that any Indian will tell you that Buddha‘s birthplace is in India. But that it’s obviously in Nepal since we had not crossed the border, right?. I got back to North Carolina and was having a checkup with my doctor a few months later. This doctor is originally from India, and when I told him I had been to South Asia he asked where did you go? I said only Nepal. A few minutes later I told him that I went to Buddha‘s birthplace and he said “I thought you said you only went to Nepal.” Seeing as how I was only wearing one of those examination robes that they give you in the doctor’s office, I just didn’t say anything else about it.
knew a fellow, an architect, that was assigned as project manager for a job in Nepal designing/building "school houses". He came to have great love & admiration for the people & country.
I know next to nothing about Nepal but I can find it on a map. At least today’s pictures got me to look into the land and it’s history a little. It’s very very old, very complicated, and totally different from anything European, Chinese, or Indian.
ReplyDeleteBancaud travelled the far corners of Asia and Asia Minor for over a decade taking pictures of cultures that Westerners are barely aware of. Many of them have not changed much in thousands of years. That’s pretty hard for this American to grasp.
I went to the Hall for 10 days in 2017 to visit with and trained some pastors and deacons. All the people I met were very kind and genuine, of course, many of these people and I shared the same faith and we’re happy to see somebody from the other side of the world who did. One thing that struck me was the beauty of the land and how, to them, any 3000-4000 foot peak was so common they weren’t even called a mountain, nor did they have a name. The food that they fit us was also very wonderful. It was like the best Indian food combine with the best Chinese food, which makes sense if you remember that the country is in between those two much larger countries.
DeleteWhile I was there, we visited the Birthplace of Buddha. It’s in a city called Lumbini, Nepal. One of the Nepali pastors told me that any Indian will tell you that Buddha‘s birthplace is in India. But that it’s obviously in Nepal since we had not crossed the border, right?. I got back to North Carolina and was having a checkup with my doctor a few months later. This doctor is originally from India, and when I told him I had been to South Asia he asked where did you go? I said only Nepal. A few minutes later I told him that I went to Buddha‘s birthplace and he said “I thought you said you only went to Nepal.” Seeing as how I was only wearing one of those examination robes that they give you in the doctor’s office, I just didn’t say anything else about it.
🙄” the Hall” was meant to be Nepal. Thought i proofread better than that.
DeleteLook at how thick those braids are.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this CW. We have many Nepalis in Colorado. My son works with many and have a few Nepali / Indian restaurants that are excellent.
ReplyDeleteknew a fellow, an architect, that was assigned as project manager for a job in Nepal designing/building "school houses". He came to have great love & admiration for the people & country.
ReplyDelete