Saturday, January 4, 2020

Found a worthy local replacement for Lockford Meat and Sausage.

It's R&R Quality Meats and Seafood, not very far from the new place.

Back in the Sacramento area, where I lived until early last year, the go-to place for sausage and bacon was Lockford Meat, located in a small farm town between Stockton and Sacto.  It's a small homey spot, and you want to get there on off hours or else it's packed to the gills with people stocking up on the best sausage and bacon you'll ever find.   Once I parked around the corner, and when walking up to the front and there was one enormous pig hanging in the back being butchered.  That's fresh.

Anyway, that's clearly too far now that I'm in Redding, and I've been missing my sausages and bacon.  The local Raley's has a huge, Flintstones sized ribeye that's I've been getting to fill in the meat eater gap, but still, there was something missing.

Today Mrs. CW and I drove over to R&R to check it out, and I was left slack jawed at the awesome meat counter they have.  Not just sausage and bacon, but pretty much everything you could ever want to sample.


We waited until about noon to get it together and go over, and it was packed with carnivores like us.


It's got a far broader selection, unlike the more focused Lockford place.  Plenty of room too, but still full of people waving money and pleading to buy.  


Aaah!  Sausages.  I've got a hundred year old cast iron skillet waiting for these guys.

So, a happy discovery.   

To summarize, we've now found this world class meat place, great beer at Fall River, quirky fun restaurants like Joe's Giant Orange, and white table cloth Italian with Nello's

The Sweet Spot is great for desserts, and Tokyo Sushi matches up with most decent raw fish restaurants. 

And there's two take and bake Papa Murphy's pizza places, one of which is in the same shopping center as Fall River, and it's on the way home.  

Winning!



9 comments:

  1. Do they have an extensive variety of "Beyond Meat" products for their chic San Francisco/Malabu clientele?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. This is cowboy country, pard. Not many soy eaters around these parts, though the ones we do find we treat like family.

      Delete
  2. CW, hundred year old cast iron skillets impart a flavor in meats you can't get anywhere else! My parents passed in 2007 and my brother got all my moms old iron that she inherited from her mother... My brother is fortunate his wife can cook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't pay $7.99/LB for much. OK, maybe for a gram of AU (gold, for the ignorant). Meat of any stripe? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, however, a bit of a cheapskate, as you may realize. Paying the big $$$ just encourages them. In my estimation, at least.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear you found them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a regular at their old location on the corner of Locust and East.
    Their corned beef is as good as it gets and I never had a bad rib roast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to work for CDF Helitack in Beiber in the early 80's. Glad to hear options have improved.

    ReplyDelete