Friday, February 22, 2019

What I saw

So this morning I'm sitting at work.  I'm on the second floor of a building that sits on a low bluff overlooking a stretch of the Sacramento River in Redding.

I happened to look up, and lo and behold, just then I see, at eye level, a big old bald eagle fly by, shadowed closely by an annoyed crow.

They are big, regal birds, I must say, and I sure didn't expect to see that.

Looked pretty close to this


Someone in Redding took this video near the Highway 44 bridge.  Apparently there are a pair.




3 comments:

  1. How thrilling! I've seen Bald Eagles now and again along the Columbia River, in North Central Washington. I've not seen one up close like what you got to see tho.

    I do love following a pair at this site every year. These 2 eaglets were hatched in December, and now they're hop-flapping around the nest. It won't be long before they fledge.

    https://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw quite a few up in Northeast NC, just south of Norfolk, when I was working up that way several years ago., The last one I saw was very unexpected - at one of the retention ponds on the west side of RDU airport - I was just driving by headed for work, and a beautiful Bald Eagle leaped into the air from the side of the pond as I drove by. The other raptor in the US that is spectacular is the Golden Eagle - also very majestic, especially on a sunny day when the sun catches their feathers and shows why they are named 'golden'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many in N Cali.
    Seen a lot of them while kayaking on the Sacramento river, from Jellys Ferry to RB. Especially when the salmon are running.
    Beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete