And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Tuesday, September 1, 2026
Pride of Baltimore II - is a replica of an 1812-era Baltimore Clipper
Pride 1 was lost sailing home from the Caribbean in 1986 along with a number of her crew. The survivors spent a bit over 4 days in a partially inflated life raft with little or no food or water. The City was pretty traumatized. I know, I was there. The story is very well told by Tom Waldron in his book "Pride of the Sea: Courage, Disaster, and a Fight for Survival."
I was aboard CGC Bear at that time, and I too, was there. The only thing we ever found was a table top, which may or may not have been from the vessel. Many of us felt we should have searched longer, but our CO asked for and received permission to terminate the search. It's one of those things that you have no control over, but haunts you with guilt for the remainder of your days.
Pride 1 was lost sailing home from the Caribbean in 1986 along with a number of her crew. The survivors spent a bit over 4 days in a partially inflated life raft with little or no food or water. The City was pretty traumatized. I know, I was there. The story is very well told by Tom Waldron in his book "Pride of the Sea: Courage, Disaster, and a Fight for Survival."
ReplyDeleteThank you for this.
DeleteI was aboard CGC Bear at that time, and I too, was there. The only thing we ever found was a table top, which may or may not have been from the vessel. Many of us felt we should have searched longer, but our CO asked for and received permission to terminate the search. It's one of those things that you have no control over, but haunts you with guilt for the remainder of your days.
DeleteRickvid, thank you for that bit of history! I for one always appreciate a historical explanation for a given subject.
ReplyDelete