And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
My father was a Marine in Bougainville with the Third Marines! Every day I would see what (as a young man) he suffered with each and every day of his life! One eye gone and his left leg with still bullets fragments from a Japanese machinegun! He didn't talk about the bad things he saw and did! My dad had 7 kids and I was his first son! He never asked for any help any way whatsoever! I learned a lot from my dad!
My Dad went in the Marines in mid 43 when he turned 17. He was blown up on Okinawa and spent over a year in 2 Naval Hospitals. His scars were horrible: a major one from left shoulder to right hip, and the rest across his legs down to before the ankles. He would never talk about WW2, but what I hear was from over hearing when a friend of his would come over and spend time as they were in the same division. He would go into the VA every 6 months and be put into traction and have his back straighten out. Both my Dad and mom are now dead from old age.
My father in law was an airplane mechanic with the 3rd Marines and stationed at Midway. (R.I.P.)
ReplyDeleteI SEE MAJOR PAPI THERE..
ReplyDeleteMy father was a Marine in Bougainville with the Third Marines! Every day I would see what (as a young man) he suffered with each and every day of his life! One eye gone and his left leg with still bullets fragments from a Japanese machinegun! He didn't talk about the bad things he saw and did! My dad had 7 kids and I was his first son! He never asked for any help any way whatsoever! I learned a lot from my dad!
ReplyDeleteMy dad was a SeaBee building airfields like that in the Solomons.
ReplyDeleteMy Dad went in the Marines in mid 43 when he turned 17. He was blown up on Okinawa and spent over a year in 2 Naval Hospitals. His scars were horrible: a major one from left shoulder to right hip, and the rest across his legs down to before the ankles.
ReplyDeleteHe would never talk about WW2, but what I hear was from over hearing when a friend of his would come over and spend time as they were in the same division. He would go into the VA every 6 months and be put into traction and have his back straighten out. Both my Dad and mom are now dead from old age.
God bless them. My dad was 18 on LST409 at Iwo, Okinawa, and landing in Japan after they surrendered. 18 year old!
DeleteMust be a maintenance depot due to the way all the planes are facing?
ReplyDeleteBaa baa Black Sheep set. Great show !
ReplyDelete