And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Sunday, August 30, 2026
The smell of warm rain on sage is one you will never forget
i've ridden through the end of squalls in the high dessert between Idaho Falls and Arco and there is nothing that smells better than sage and the dessert right after a rain.
Absolutely. The scent as you cross the Sierras from west to east is incredible. You go from the high pine forest to the sagebrush desert...Best done on a motorcycle right after the rain...
Jeff, you've nailed it. I've got my own story about a sudden thunderstorm while camped in an aspen grove in the Pine Nut Mountains near Minden...but the details can only be told next time we share a campfire in the Sierras.
100%!! I've lived in Pinecrest, CA and Cold Springs (just down the road) and going across the Sierras on 108 is Heaven. I love that part of the world. I used to take my flatlander friends up to Donnell vista point and everyone was always blown away by it. Damn!! Now that you bring it up i want to go back!!
Headed there in two days! I'll be driving though eastern Oregon then down thru Nevada to southern Utah. Still a little rain in the forecast, the Southwest Monsoon season isn't quite over.
The monsoon season is still well underway here in Northern Arizona’s White Mountains. Yesterday afternoon and evening we got 2.5” of rain here in our box canyon, a real gully washer. More rain expected today and tomorrow and later this week. Not much sage around here, but lots of cedar and pinyon pine. I grew up in Utah and rain on the west desert smelled great.
i've ridden through the end of squalls in the high dessert between Idaho Falls and Arco and there is nothing that smells better than sage and the dessert right after a rain.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely. The scent as you cross the Sierras from west to east is incredible. You go from the high pine forest to the sagebrush desert...Best done on a motorcycle right after the rain...
DeleteJeff, you've nailed it. I've got my own story about a sudden thunderstorm while camped in an aspen grove in the Pine Nut Mountains near Minden...but the details can only be told next time we share a campfire in the Sierras.
Delete100%!! I've lived in Pinecrest, CA and Cold Springs (just down the road) and going across the Sierras on 108 is Heaven. I love that part of the world. I used to take my flatlander friends up to Donnell vista point and everyone was always blown away by it. Damn!! Now that you bring it up i want to go back!!
ReplyDeleteHeaded there in two days! I'll be driving though eastern Oregon then down thru Nevada to southern Utah. Still a little rain in the forecast, the Southwest Monsoon season isn't quite over.
ReplyDeleteThe monsoon season is still well underway here in Northern Arizona’s White Mountains. Yesterday afternoon and evening we got 2.5” of rain here in our box canyon, a real gully washer. More rain expected today and tomorrow and later this week. Not much sage around here, but lots of cedar and pinyon pine. I grew up in Utah and rain on the west desert smelled great.
DeleteCome on over to Idaho, we call it Tuesday.
ReplyDelete