And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Jeep COE, drove one once and said "no thanks". Ended up with a VW bus in '79, much quieter ride but that road from Phoenix to Flagstaff was done in 2nd gear ;-)
I currently own an FC150 and owned a Type 2 VW Bus.
The VW Bus is a far more civilized and dependable vehicle. My VW Bus would comfortably cruise at 60mph. I took 1000+ milles road trips in it. The FC150 is a lot more rugged. the cabin is hotter and louder and it can only dream of reaching 60mph. My FC cruises at 40 mph but only for a short drive. It overheats (like all FCs do). I don't dare taking my FC on a drive longer than 40 miles and it has to be a drive that doesn't include highways (I can't reach the minimum speed).
The VW Bus is a real vehicle that can be used as a daily driver. The FC is a toy that is used sparingly and just for fun
Great backcountry hill climbers - interesting coming back down. Good for hauling firewood from the mountains. Not many left around. (This one looks strangely shortened in the rear - not familiar with such a configuration.)
Wow- dad had one when I was a kid, mid-70's- I'd sit on the engine box between him and mom. He drove that thing all around the lower deserts between Phoenix and Flagstaff on the weekends- baby blue, not a comfortable ride at all. Sweet memories.
COEs are never comfortable offroad drives. In a COE you are sitting over the front axel. If the wheel goes over a 5in rock your sit goes up and then drops 5in. In a regular truck, because you are sitting 4ft behind the axel, when the front axel goes over a 5in rock the sit goes up and the drops by 2.5 in
So ugly it very cool.
ReplyDeleteJeep COE, drove one once and said "no thanks".
ReplyDeleteEnded up with a VW bus in '79, much quieter ride but that road from Phoenix to Flagstaff was done in 2nd gear ;-)
I currently own an FC150 and owned a Type 2 VW Bus.
DeleteThe VW Bus is a far more civilized and dependable vehicle. My VW Bus would comfortably cruise at 60mph. I took 1000+ milles road trips in it.
The FC150 is a lot more rugged. the cabin is hotter and louder and it can only dream of reaching 60mph. My FC cruises at 40 mph but only for a short drive. It overheats (like all FCs do). I don't dare taking my FC on a drive longer than 40 miles and it has to be a drive that doesn't include highways (I can't reach the minimum speed).
The VW Bus is a real vehicle that can be used as a daily driver. The FC is a toy that is used sparingly and just for fun
Forward Control Jeep built from the mid '50s until the mid '60s. I'd drive it for short distances.
ReplyDeleteAl_in_Ottawa
Great backcountry hill climbers - interesting coming back down. Good for hauling firewood from the mountains. Not many left around. (This one looks strangely shortened in the rear - not familiar with such a configuration.)
ReplyDeleteThis one is an FC150, short wheelbase. The FC170 has a longer wheelbase.
DeleteFC150's essentially have CJ3B running gear (4 cylinders, 3speed) FC170's came with the flat head inline 6 cylinder engine from the Willy's Truck.
Thx (I have a '54 M38A1) I'll need to keep my eyes open around for one maybe.
DeleteWow- dad had one when I was a kid, mid-70's- I'd sit on the engine box between him and mom. He drove that thing all around the lower deserts between Phoenix and Flagstaff on the weekends- baby blue, not a comfortable ride at all. Sweet memories.
ReplyDeleteCOEs are never comfortable offroad drives.
DeleteIn a COE you are sitting over the front axel. If the wheel goes over a 5in rock your sit goes up and then drops 5in.
In a regular truck, because you are sitting 4ft behind the axel, when the front axel goes over a 5in rock the sit goes up and the drops by 2.5 in
Probably saw your dad's - we were running around in those areas during that period in a 49 International pickup.
DeleteAnother Willys. Yes!
ReplyDeleteGoofy - but I'd commute in that
ReplyDeleteI have a White 3000. Sorta looks like a big one of those.
ReplyDelete