Sunday, June 14, 2026

A man from Japan is amazed

 Over a five dollar cooked chicken, that loses the store money, on purpose.

14 comments:

  1. And I walk all the way back there to think about a chicken while I buy steak. Sometimes I get a chicken too, this is a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know where costco is and never been in one. If I knew I'd buy 10 and freeze 9.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghost, Mrs. CW joined Costco at The Captain's suggestion, and now she loves it. Our local Costco sells gas at about 50 cents below everyone else. If you can buy something you use in bulk, it is well worth it.

      Delete
    2. And if you get their VISA card from Citibank you get a 5% rebate on your gas purchases at the end of the year too.

      Delete
    3. CW and Rick T give good advice.

      Delete
    4. OK you guys convinced me to look it up later today. I suspect though that it's 50 miles away in the big city which would be a deal killer.

      Delete
    5. We used to have to drive 90 miles to hit COSTCO, and therefore we did it once or twice a year, to stock the pantry. Now we have one a handful of miles away. With an Executive membership, you get a rebate check at the end of the year; ours is enough to pay for the membership. As others mention, the Visa card gives rebates too, on gas and other purchases. Lots to like about COSTCO, and if you're a senior, they'll open the door an hour early (09:00) for you, so you can park easy and shop before the crowds hit. Warren Buffett said COSTCO was one of his favorite value companies.

      Delete
  3. I should have looked into the Hiroshima Costco when I was there. I assume they don't have chicken, and I wouldn't have bought anything but I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a loss leader, it gets you in the store and you're likely to buy other items while you're in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “Loss leader” is a polite way of saying “bait”.
      SFC D

      Delete
    2. Like a dollar fifty hot dog.

      Delete
  5. That's one of the funniest things I've read in ages. Thank you (bows to screen....).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived in Japan for a while. In Japan they look suspiciously at anything that's on sale, thinking that it must somehow be defective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll buy these at Wally's sh8t hole for as little as $1.99 early in the morning when they're a day old on the refrigerated side. I'll get or 2 or 4 at a pop and make chicken soup as needed and freeze the rest.

    ReplyDelete