Saturday, August 3, 2013

Hatchets and axes


Top left is a hewing hatchet, also called a side-hatchet or broad-hatchet.
The second one on left is a full hatchet with nail claws.
Third is a half-hatchet with nail claws.
Fourth is a full hatchet with a nail slot and pole.
Fifth is an old Boy Scout axe (from my grandfather's barn, I think). It feels good in even my large hands.

Top right is a checker-pole hatchet with a 19" handle. It probably started out as a 20", since this was one of my granddad's rig-building hatchets.
second is also one of Granddad's rig-building, checker-pole hatchets, but with a new 14" handle. You can't find 20's around here anymore, and I've never yet made one from scratch.
Third is the True-Temper pole hatchet I've had since I was a kid. Dad gave it to me used, even then (50 years ago).
Fourth is another regular pole hatchet.
Fifth is a regular pole hatchet, also.


I like this. There is nothing so pleasing as the simplicity of a tool like this.  Feels good in the hand, the purpose is intuitive, and you want to immediately swing it at something to hear the satisfying "chunk" when the blade bites into wood.   I've got a bunch of old axes and hatchets of my own, and this post has inspired me to collect them all and perhaps put up a similar picture.  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Add a tomahawk and your collection will be complete! ;^)

    ReplyDelete