Saturday, October 3, 2026

An airman and his steed

 


4 comments:

  1. An English Electric Lightning. Fat belly tank!
    Fastest climbing fighter for many years. Decades, actually.
    Thirsty sucker. When the gear came up, you had best be planning where you were going to get some fuel. Twin stacked engines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastically fast fighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interceptor not a fighter. My best mate worked on them in the '60s as an engine fitter. The black and orange triangles on each side of the roundel indicate this machine belongs to 74 Squadron and I think it's an F6. The narrow tires were good for three landings.
    Al_in_Ottawa

    ReplyDelete
  4. An ex pilot on Utube said he caught a couple of F111's at lowish level in a Lightning but they accelerated away leaving him in their dust.
    Another said he did a scramble and held full afterburner until he was headed down to land. Low fuel light was shining brightly by finals and that was, I recall, after about 15 minutes of flight. An early mark I suspect - eventually they held enough fuel to be more than a one shot wonder.

    ReplyDelete