Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Awesome Machine

 


14 comments:

  1. I had a model of that plane as a kid until my thieving cousin managed to take that and all the old comic books on a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you made the bastard pay…

      Delete
  2. They used to fly over my parent’s house when I was five. B-58s were also a common sight on the west side of Fort Worth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Six turnin’ and four burnin’.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the sound as they flew over our house when I was a kid. Nothing like it. There is a B-36 at the Castle Air museum in Atwater, Ca. You can walk up to it and stand under the wing, looking up at the bomb bay.
    Aluminum overcast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it's magnesium overcast. The pressurised bits were aluminium as magnesium doesn't like pressure cycles. A few other bits were as well, like the flaps which were changed to aluminium because the magnesium couldn't cope with the stress.

      Delete
    2. Some of the alloys contained strontium, an alpha emitter, and the structures had to be machined, maintained and scrapped carefully to avoid radioactive exposure.

      Delete
  5. There had one on display at Chanute AFB, it's big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was at Chanute back in 1985/86 for tech school. Training was in the old hangers and the flightline was packed full of aircraft. So cool to see all of them.

      Delete
    2. According to the internet, the B-36 is now at Castle Air Museum, Atwater, CA.

      Delete
  6. That thing is like SpaceX's Super Heavy rocket. So large it defies it's true size in photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should put a quarter on the ground next to the plane to give you that perspective.

      Delete
  7. Four R-4360 28 cylinder radials for a total of 112 cylinders and 224 spark plugs. It didn't use mechanically coupled power recovery turbines like the Wright 3350's on the Lockheed Constellation.

    ReplyDelete