Sunday, August 5, 2012


The other day I was going through some old stuff from my parents, and re discovered this old wood stove, which a bit of internet research defined more properly as a parlor stove.


We put it outside and burned a little bit of kindling, and it worked perfectly.  Then, the 16 year old and I decided to use it to make a "man cave in one corner of the barn, with part of the goal to be to do it as cheaply as possible and with recycled stuff where we could.  I have no idea how old the parlor stove is, but I can guarantee you it has been recycled multiple times.


Several years ago a friend gave us some walnut that had been harvested out of an old orchard that was being torn out.  This round has been sitting in the barn "curing" since, and the boy and I decided to sand it flat and use it as a table in our man cave.

We began the process today and got some of the rough work done. Not shown is an old hand plane that we drafted to knock down the high spots a bit faster.  Another old tool that we won't let lie idle on the shelf, and with a little adjustment, it worked pretty well, causing the two of us to break a real sweat as well.

I'll post periodically on the man cave progress.



4 comments:

  1. The man cave will have old furniture to sit on (there is an abandoned couch in the ditch about two miles away we might adopt), the table we are making, the stove for the winter, and maybe we will get an old fridge from Craig's list for drinks. There is already an old bookcase down there for other stuff we might need to have around, so we figure with a little work in August and September, we should be ready to go. Maybe we can scare up an old tv somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what gets the most use down there, the exercise machine or the Chevy pickemup??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old GMC belonged to my desceased uncle, and I was storing it for him because my aunt didn't like all the stuff he collected. Who knows who it legally belongs to now.

      The exercise machine gets used once in a while, but like most of them not like it should. Once, the kids took the key to the weights down to the pond and dropped it in the grass. I had to get the metal detector down there and swing until I came up with it. Good times.

      Delete