Saturday, September 24, 2016

Beginning the process of Shepherd's bread making tomorrow.

This fall weather has gotten us thinking about bread making.  We took Doug the Wild Sourdough Starter out of hibernation in the fridge and fed him, so he should be bubbling and ready by tomorrow morning.

Doug likes that.

Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza




The yeast doing it's work.

No fancy pants bread making machine here, we just knead by hand and let 'er rise.

Mason Cash Terracotta Bread Baking Set, Includes a Mixing Bowl (11.5-Inch Diameter x 5.5-Inch Height) with Proving Lid/Baking Stone

From a previous bake, a beautiful rise.   I admit, to get this, I add a little store bought yeast to Doug. Then, it's into the camp oven to bake.


The final product, a huge round of bread.  Carb overload.  Very good while still hot and with melted butter and honey.


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Doug may have been wild, but now he's a domesticated workhorse - in a yeasty sort of way.

      Delete
    2. You've whipped him into submission!

      Delete
  2. Looks great, bet it tastes great too!

    For about 10 years I had a sourdough starter going, made wonderful bread from it (once won a county fair 3rd prize, which I was proud of- until they told me it was for the beautiful loaf, not the bread, which they hadn't tasted.)

    Miss that sourdough, but now I'm on low-carb forever. Which has solved many of my health & weight issues, but (sigh) nothing replaces sourdough bread! (It's not quite enough to die for... but almost!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word. I have found I don't miss pasta, rice or potatoes much, but I won't quite give up on an occasional bread bake.

      Delete