Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Veritable Quandary

While in Portland the kid set us up for dinner at a local establishment downtown known as the Veritable Quandary.  

Fine dining is a pretty rare experience for me these days, but hey, I had a credit card, I was loose and unsupervised in a strange city, and with nearly the whole family tagging along, I figured I might as well go for the gusto.

The dining room.  



The bar menu.  I got myself a couple of Gentleman's Handshakes.  The bartender didn't scrimp on the alcohol, and the kids laughed later at how talkative I suddenly became.


Followed the alcohol with pork shank over mashed potatoes and greens.  Excellent chow on a rainy Portland evening.



After I was done, there was nothing left but the plate, two polished bones and a greasy smear.  Good.
I hear the place is closing in September to be replaced with a new courthouse.  That's a loss.  After I pay down the credit card, I'll see about organizing a return in May when I'll be back in town.  There was plenty more on the menu I'd like to try.


5 comments:

  1. It's too bad that the place is closing. There are so many so-so restaurants that it's a thing of joy to find someplace that you want to return to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear about the closing of this establishment - for the name and for the food! I also enjoyed a convivial dinner there while traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I have a great or unique dining experience I post it. I like to highlight good places and it is good to see someone doing the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SIL worked in Portland around the corner from VQ, and loves it. Sadly they are closing in Sept. Still time for one more go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad to hear about the closing. Have had several memorable lunches there while in Portland. But don't grieve too much: Bread and Ink is a good restaurant in the Hawthorne district, just a few miles across the bridge from the VQ.

    ReplyDelete