Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Trip Down Memory Lane

 


Anybody remember Campy Campaneris, the shortstop for the Oakland A's during their salad days in the 70's?   

I sure do.  He was a lynchpin of those World Series winning teams, along with guys like Sal Bando, Rollie Fingers, Catfish Hunter, Vida Blue and Joe Rudi.  This card is from Topps 1970 series, and I had several just like it as a ten year old, only not signed.  I sure wasted a lot of lawn mowing money buying Topps baseball cards in those days.  Remember that awful rectangle of gum that was included?  Tasted funny, but we always chewed it, although I don't know why.

Sigh.

I wonder what Campy is doing these days?


4 comments:

  1. While I never really followed any professional sports, I do seem to remember Bert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasted like pink cardboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On September 8, 1965 Campy Campaneris played one MLB game for the then Kansas City Athletics in which he played all 9 different positions, one each in 9 separate innings. Even during his one inning as pitcher, he threw either right-handed or left-handed depending on whichever presented an advantage over the batter who was hitting right-handed or left-handed.

    https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/september-8-1965-bert-campaneris-plays-all-nine-positions-for-athletics/

    Coincidentally the next evening on September 9, Los Angeles Dodgers pitching ace Sandy Koufax pitched his perfect game against the Chicago Cubs, defeating them 1-0. It was Koufax’s fourth no-hitter, breaking the record of three then held by Bob Feller of the Cleveland Indians.

    It was an historic two consecutive days for Major League Baseball.

    49er Badger

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived in Hayward during that time period and all of us boys did the same; We bought the cards and stickers, ate the crappy gum and closely followed the A's. Charlie O the Mule was featured guest in our Little League Team photos at Mt Eden American LL. What a great time to be a baseball fan!

    ReplyDelete