And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
wood stoves are great ! put 2 of them in my home here after moving in. western PA. week. a few years back, the power went out for almost a week in winter. and all of the people who said I was nuts for going with a wood stove instead of a pellet one found out that pellet stoves need large need electric to work. but the really great thing is it is a nice quiet even heat. and the house stays warm for a good 6-8 hours after it goes out.
I doubt I'm telling anyone on this blog anything new, but wood heat is just so nice. We have a large stone fireplace and after an evening of a nice, low fire....that stone will still be warm until noon the next day. Unfortunately, it's going to be another couple of months before we get to use it! Steve_in_Ottawa
I Lived in a row house Baltimore, just south of the Inner Harbor in Federal Hill, and got a combination coal/wood burning stove very much like this. I bought a cord of hardwood and a lot of number 9 anthracite coal; hard low sulfur coal mined in West Virginia. May be a felony to possess a piece there these days..
Anyhow, I worked in Northern Virginia at the time and would take the train to Roslyn, Virginia (longest escalator in the world at the time to get up to the surface) and back. Before leaving in the morning to walk over to Camden Yards (yes, those Camden Yards before the Orioles had a park) and catch the train south, I'd get a small fire going, stuff the box with wood, turn the air vents all the way down then a 1/8th turn open and let'er go. Fourteen hours later I'd get back and the stove would still be warm and the house tolerable.
Did make the mistake of opening it up fast once - only once. Air rushing into a low oxygen very hot environment was a tad explosive. Lots of charcoal bits, soot, and a massive scare, no worse, but lesson learned! When I opened it correctly - open the air vents slowly, then the door - the logs would still be in there, totally intact. Except they were pure charcoal. Almost spooky.
Now, here in the Valley, I have a gas burning Jotul that is just great. And if the power goes out, I can light it manually! Can't wait.
wood stoves are great ! put 2 of them in my home here after moving in. western PA. week. a few years back, the power went out for almost a week in winter.
ReplyDeleteand all of the people who said I was nuts for going with a wood stove instead of a pellet one found out that pellet stoves need large need electric to work.
but the really great thing is it is a nice quiet even heat. and the house stays warm for a good 6-8 hours after it goes out.
I doubt I'm telling anyone on this blog anything new, but wood heat is just so nice. We have a large stone fireplace and after an evening of a nice, low fire....that stone will still be warm until noon the next day. Unfortunately, it's going to be another couple of months before we get to use it! Steve_in_Ottawa
DeleteOh the memories!
ReplyDeleteI Lived in a row house Baltimore, just south of the Inner Harbor in Federal Hill, and got a combination coal/wood burning stove very much like this. I bought a cord of hardwood and a lot of number 9 anthracite coal; hard low sulfur coal mined in West Virginia. May be a felony to possess a piece there these days..
Anyhow, I worked in Northern Virginia at the time and would take the train to Roslyn, Virginia (longest escalator in the world at the time to get up to the surface) and back. Before leaving in the morning to walk over to Camden Yards (yes, those Camden Yards before the Orioles had a park) and catch the train south, I'd get a small fire going, stuff the box with wood, turn the air vents all the way down then a 1/8th turn open and let'er go. Fourteen hours later I'd get back and the stove would still be warm and the house tolerable.
Did make the mistake of opening it up fast once - only once. Air rushing into a low oxygen very hot environment was a tad explosive. Lots of charcoal bits, soot, and a massive scare, no worse, but lesson learned! When I opened it correctly - open the air vents slowly, then the door - the logs would still be in there, totally intact. Except they were pure charcoal. Almost spooky.
Now, here in the Valley, I have a gas burning Jotul that is just great. And if the power goes out, I can light it manually! Can't wait.