And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
I so wanted this when I was a kid, but Mom said it was too expensive. Then they re-made it some years ago. I saw it in Toys R Us, and it looked like cheap crap. And it was too expensive for that. sigh.
Me too - I remember I lost the spacesuit "boots" that looked like oven bag moccasins - I brought it for Kindergarten show and tell with the GI Joe in bare feet. As I was "showing" all of its coolness and pulled Joe out of the capsule with bare feet - the teacher said "Jimmy - I think astronauts wear boots". I told her (show and tell) that mine did NOT. No kidding - 1967 and I remember it.
I've still got mine. It's in a box about 40ft from where I'm sitting right now. I don't really have a good place to display it. So much of my GIJoe stuff is long gone, I was shocked to find this capsule while cleaning mom's house for sale. All my IH metal farm toys are gone too. Dad worked for a subsidiary and got a good deal on them, so I had a lot.
As an aside, the way GIJoe feet could pull off still creeps me out to this day. Pulling off a boot and having the foot come with it... yikes.
I had one too! I blame him for my hobby of collecting MilSurp rifles. He had M1s (carbine and rifle), so do I. His "Tommy" iteration carried a SMLE, I've 2. He had ... well, you get the idea.
Tape a dime coin to the post card found in your comic book. Select your choice of a model of the Gemini capsule you can put together (complete with decals), or a model of the launch complex at Cape Canaveral. I chose the launch complex. Boy, that was a challenge to put together whatwith the many pipes of various dia. and the supporting structure.
I so wanted this when I was a kid, but Mom said it was too expensive. Then they re-made it some years ago. I saw it in Toys R Us, and it looked like cheap crap. And it was too expensive for that. sigh.
ReplyDeleteMe too - I remember I lost the spacesuit "boots" that looked like oven bag moccasins - I brought it for Kindergarten show and tell with the GI Joe in bare feet. As I was "showing" all of its coolness and pulled Joe out of the capsule with bare feet - the teacher said "Jimmy - I think astronauts wear boots". I told her (show and tell) that mine did NOT. No kidding - 1967 and I remember it.
ReplyDeleteI've still got mine. It's in a box about 40ft from where I'm sitting right now. I don't really have a good place to display it. So much of my GIJoe stuff is long gone, I was shocked to find this capsule while cleaning mom's house for sale. All my IH metal farm toys are gone too. Dad worked for a subsidiary and got a good deal on them, so I had a lot.
ReplyDeleteAs an aside, the way GIJoe feet could pull off still creeps me out to this day. Pulling off a boot and having the foot come with it... yikes.
nick
I'd have taken a whipping to have one of those.
ReplyDeleteI had one too! I blame him for my hobby of collecting MilSurp rifles. He had M1s (carbine and rifle), so do I. His "Tommy" iteration carried a SMLE, I've 2. He had ... well, you get the idea.
ReplyDeleteTape a dime coin to the post card found in your comic book. Select your choice of a model of the Gemini capsule you can put together (complete with decals), or a model of the launch complex at Cape Canaveral.
ReplyDeleteI chose the launch complex. Boy, that was a challenge to put together whatwith the many pipes of various dia. and the supporting structure.
I wasn't allowed to play with "dolls."
ReplyDelete