Monday, August 3, 2026

No Step

 


19 comments:

  1. my thought exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rattler is mad and ready to strike Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seen tons of them in the wild. Even stepped on on at night, heard his rattle and lifted my foot, and moved away. People think rattlers will attack you. The only way a rattler will strike you is if you have cornered it and give it no room to escape. Think about this, if you see a large rattler, it only got that way by eating, hence, plenty of pests around to feed upon.

      Delete
    2. Bill, the Mohave Green is aggressive and will pursue you even across open ground. Walking speed is not fast enough, a quick walk is barely enough.

      Delete
  3. Fear of snakes I believe is built in for some folks. I am one. Surprised by a curved dead branch mowing the lawn I'll run over the damn thing cursing up a storm.... I know others just as crazy(?) as I am. I live in Maine which (supposedly) has no poisonous snakes. So, being cool, I shouldn't overreact - but I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out east of Denver (out on the prairie) the rattlers seem to be so hot and dry that they are pissed off and are biting people and animals like crazy.,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excuse me Mr(or Mrs, as the case maybe)Snek, didn't see you laying there in all your glory. Useful fact: Your much more likely to die of a lightening strike that a rattlesnake bite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't Tread On Me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son had a dry bite once when mtn. biking when he didn't check where he was stopping and put a foot down in Cedar Park State Park, Texas.

    It was dry in that no venom was injected. A trip to the ER and still massive swelling but no anti-venom needed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky lad! Had close calls while hiking, but no bite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like my ex-wife

    ReplyDelete
  10. is it a diamond back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's an Eastern diamondback, and it is probably digesting. The large, mid length bulge is his last meal. I haven't experienced Eastern Diamondbacks, but plenty of westerns, and they get really bite happy while digesting.

      Delete
    2. Western Diamondback.

      Delete
    3. None of the above. It is a Blacktail Rattlesnake (Crotalus molossus).

      Delete
  11. Copperheadedrattlemoccasin

    ReplyDelete