Wednesday, September 16, 2026


 

12 comments:

  1. I believe that B-17 was the Nine o Nine, I flew in it once over Plymouth.
    Destroyed after a mid air collision and crash years ago.
    I have some pictures of her from that day, wish I could post them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @John the River, you are correct sir. The B-17 "Nine-O-Nine" crashed on Oct 2nd, 2019, at Bradley Int Airport, in Windsor Locks, CT. Seven people were killed along with seven injured.

      I had the opportunity to visit this aircraft twice in years past and was saddened to hear of this tragic event.

      Bayouwulf

      Delete
    2. If allowed the link to my web page with the photos of the Nine o Nine.
      https://onthenorthriver.com/2011/09/22/for-an-on-line-friend/

      Delete
  2. We had an Army surplus Jeep on the farm. It could pull loaded hay wagons. My biggest take was that a Jeep was a rough ride on a smooth road, cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and it got crap fuel mileage. But I could take the service manual and change the oil and clean a carburetor bowl at 12 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess the Navy numbers their vehicles differently than we did in the Air Force. All our vehicles started with the two-digit number of the year of the vehicle - that's not a '94 Jeep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaiser era CJ-5 painted to look like a military M38A1

      Delete
  4. Not a midair. Lost 2 engines on one side. Crashed on short final.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct, I was confusing it with the Dallas crash that also destroyed a B17.

      Delete
    2. John the River, that was the Texas Raiders. I saw it an a show in St. Joseph, MO, a couple of months before the crash. Walked through it, took lots of pictures, and talked to the crew. What a tragedy.

      Delete
  5. drove a few different Jeeps while in the army, was never impressed with ANY of them. rough ride at best. had one flip over on me after hitting a rock the size of foot
    once I didn't see ( raining and just bad weather) even drove a few of the newer ones here and there. I pass on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also had the honor to fly aboard the nine-o-nine, in Titusville, FL. The view from the bombadier's station was amazing!

    ReplyDelete