Saturday, September 19, 2026

 


26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They were twice that in 77. Those are 67 prices.

      Delete
    2. The grille is a 71 or 72.

      Delete
  2. Now you need a $90,000 student 'loan' to look cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. an old truck did not look cool in 1977, it leaked and smoked and sucked to drive, when compared to the earlier muscle cars that were around them. 70's auto tech was not the pinnacle of anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My '76 Dodge Adventurer did not leak nor smoke. In cold weather, it Did take time to warm up. I would turn it on and smoke a Camel filter until
      I finished, then turned it off. 20 minutes later, turn it on and drive off,

      You did not drive it, you steered it where you wanted to go and just pointed. Benchseat, 318 V-8, power nothing, AM radio. When I sold it, it had 329,000 miles and needed an overhaul. It still drove to the car lot. Never left me really stranded - I managed to get it home or to the mechanic shop without tow truck. I still miss it.

      Delete
    2. But everything was fixable if you took shop class in high school and if you didn't learn it someone else would help you.

      Delete
  4. Trucks have gotten to expensive

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regular was $2.54 in today's dollars. What is cool is the truck - my wife this I'm nuts that I want a 50 year old red pickup. Nuts I am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back in the day, brand new pickups were $10,000.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In 1978, I ordered a new '78 Scottsdale BIG 10-AC, PS, PB, AM/FM Cassette, 350 Automatic, sliding rear window, white spoke wheels, $7800 out the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the Air Force in '78 and $7800 was more than I made in year.

      Delete
  8. WISH I HAD A 73-82 F150/250 (CHEVY/DODGE OK TO) IN GOOD SHAPE TODAY....F250 WITH A 390 DAMN.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is an AI generated photo me thinks. The facial features and hair look identical.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first truck I can recall was a 40's ford my dad had. It's name was " Rackety Boom".

    ReplyDelete
  11. First truck was a'64 El Camino. with flood damage. Not really a truck. 327 V8 Too much. Coulda killed me. It tried a couple of times. The 67 Ford falcon saved my life. Fifty bucks. It had body damage, but it ran great, and was easy to maintain.
    I'm amazed I survived the '70's. Now I'm amazed I'm living in the 20's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First truck was a '71 Chevy 1/2 ton. Paint that one in the picture red - and it's mine.

      Delete
  12. 71 lnternational w/ 3 on the tree. one time when accelerating from a stop while shifting from first to second, the gearshift went to the 9 o'clock position on the column. took awhile to figure that one out. limped it home stuck in second gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, and by the way, that was not "cool"

      Delete
  13. I learned to drive on the farm in my Dads 41 Ford pickup. Not a hint of a syncro in that transmission, always had to double clutch. It wasn't fancy but sometimes it was the only thing that would start on a -30 degree morning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Indeed, bought a 66 C-10 for $200, first rate condition, in 76, got another for spare parts only a C note, could'nt pass up a bare bones 55 Chevy 2 door for 50 bucks, bit rusty but ran and complete, remember some vehicles basically went for scrap metal weight, if that much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Regardless of being an AI-generated image, the truck appears to be an accurate representation of a 1971-1972 Chevrolet “Action Line” truck except for the grille insert details. This one shows 13 x 3 spaces whereas the real ones had 16 x 6 spaces. The inside rear view mirror attached to the windshield glass illustrated here signals a 1972 model. Love the illustration!

    I agree that gas prices were higher in 1977 than shown but I understand and appreciate the sentiment expressed.

    I owned a 1972 Chevrolet 1/2 Ton. It was factory-equipped with power brakes that were disc type in the front, power steering, 350 V-8, Turbo Hydramatic automatic transmission and excellent air conditioning and heater. Its coil-sprung rear suspension utilizing 4 control arms and Panhard type transverse rod was more sophisticated than rear suspensions in most passenger cars. Thus it handled very ably and predictably. It was very feasible to use as comfortable daily transportation which I did for a dozen years.

    49er Badger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. re: gas prices - don't generalize those too much; was paying 48.9 in Florida in 1978.

      Delete
  16. In 1982, when I was 30, I bought a 1972 GMC Sierra from my dad who had retired from his real estate rental business. I wanted it for maintenance at our family cottage way off in the boonies and for hunting in SE Alberta and Montana.

    I was forced to junk it in 2012 when my mechanic sadly told me he wouldn't fix it because the rusted hole next to the the gas pedal, through which the road was clearly visible, was so big he was legally required to turn me in and the government would seize and scrap the thing at my expense.

    I couldn't find any pickup with anything near a price to function comparison that worked, so I switched to trailers, of which I now have 3, all used, total cost $2,500.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Still have a 1989 F150 with the 300 inline 4 speed that I use for whatever. Also have a 1990 same but a 5 speed that the boy got his name on. Also have a 1973 dodge club cab w/ 318 sitting out back ran when parked along with a 1977 Dodge that I gave 400 bucks for and that ran when parked. I'm done collecting projects. They're not cheap to fix up anymore that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete